Skip to main content

Replies sorted oldest to newest

I just put some of the Mickey Thompson Sportsman SR on the back of mine last week.
http://www.mickeythompsontires...php?item=SportsmanSR

Im running the 26x12s on my 15" wheels. They are real sticky, and though I only have about 25 miles on them so far, I am very happy. I ordered them through Summit, and the price was reasonable. As for the speed rating, it will be a while before i have the chance to exceed 130. There are other board members that recommended these tires to me, and there are some that wouldn't recommend them, given that they are a LT tire and the speed rating is lower, etc.
quote:
Nitto makes a DR in that size. I know some people with high hp cars will run them all the time. I think its the Nitto 05-R

That tire is a Drag Radial. Food for thought...
I would NEVER put a drag radial on a Pantera. Just because a tire is DOT rated does not mean that it's a good idea to go to the grocery store or drive through a twisty two-lane country road while wearing them. You can do it, but it’s kind of like running in flip-flops; you or your Pantera may end up broken and scarred. Wrinkle-wall tires (drag radials) are designed for one reason, and that’s the hook up under big power to make the car LAUNCH and GO STRAIGHT down the dragstrip. The flexible sidewall that provides traction in a straight line does not work in a cornering situation.

You would be better off selecting a tire with a lower speed rating ('H' for example, which is rated at 130mph) and know that you can corner to your heart's content without worrying about sidewall failure or rolling your tire bead right off the rim. And to earn that 130 mph speed rating, the tire has proven it can sustain that speed for a specified period of time without failure. I would wager that you will not likely have the opportunity to drive at 130 mph (or faster) on a public road for more than a minute or two (at most), which is well within the performance parameters of an H-rated tire. The only exception might be driving through the middle of the Nevada desert somewhere at insane speeds, but that's just not smart to for so many other reasons.
Link copied to your clipboard.