Skip to main content

Hi...
the book from Tom Monroe could not help on the clarification of the seals required for the intake manifold.

1) 2 two rupper seals each per end ..ok understood
2) Integral (metal) baffle heard to manaifold gasket between Manifild and Heads ... ok
BUT
3) do I need a the "paper" gasket between Head and Baffle or is just a bit of Silicon good enough? As the Gasket package had 2 extra "paper 2 gasket got puzzled...

Attachments

Images (1)
  • Intake_Gasket_set_up_1
Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

...The Metal 'Turkey Tray' IS The Gasket!
The Embossed Edges around the ports are the Seal and the Composite Gaskets are Not Used.
I believe the Rubber END Gaskets Are STILL Used with the Tray.

I Eliminated the Metal Tray, Years ago, IMO NOT Needed. Now, I just use the Paper Gaskets with RTV as the End Seals. Apply a Wide Bead of RTV to BOTH Contact Areas(After De-Greasing), when It just becomes 'Takky', Drop the Manifold Down. Doesn't Leak a Drop!!

...Make it Easy On Yourself, and Use 4 'Studs' on the Center Vertical Holes, to help Align the Manifold Perfectly. Once Installed, Start All the Other Bolts, THEN, remove the Studs and install the (4) 5/16" Center Bolts.
Last edited by marlinjack
Marlin too fast for me..

1) I have a new Edelbrok Intake manifold. RPM Performer ! Below side is fully "closed". It sits on new Trick Flow heads..nice fit (so far)

SO CAN I SKIPP the METALL TRAY and use the nice Gaskests (picture above) for the Intake instead?..WOULD BE happy to do it as much easier..(sure will use the 2 silicon gaskest on front and rear!!)

TX Matthias
I think you have the wrong gasket(shown on head)
check with Trick flow, the gasket should match the intake port better. I think you have a 4V stock Ford gasket on 2V heads. Get rid of the metal splash pan / gasket that is for a stock application along with the rubber china wall gaskets,use R.T.V. silicone to lay a bead on the china walls and a little around the gasket ports if needed. This is instructive : Small Block Chevy Engine Build: Intake System (Part 2)
quote:
Originally posted by Mat_G:
Marlin too fast for me..

1) I have a new Edelbrok Intake manifold. RPM Performer ! Below side is fully "closed". It sits on new Trick Flow heads..nice fit (so far)

SO CAN I SKIPP the METALL TRAY and use the nice Gaskests (picture above) for the Intake instead?..WOULD BE happy to do it as much easier..(sure will use the 2 silicon gaskest on front and rear!!)

TX Matthias
Yes!!! Junk That piece of Tin Pan! I have two Pans, Sitting on the shelf. I Can't Give Away!! And Yes! You need the 2V Gasket that matches. And Install those gaskets Dry. No Sealer needed.

...one tip, on those RTV End Seals...Just as soon as You have all those Manifold Bolts Snugged Down, Take Your finger and Run it along the Excess Silicone, that has oozed out, smooth it down, in and along. After It Cures, it will look Pretty!

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.