Skip to main content

Original low mileage (39,000) 1973 Pantera 351 Cleveland four bolt main, engine, heads, everything but the intake manifold and carb, complete! Pulled out to rebuild but decided to buy a crate motor instead. It ran great when pulled, just needs refreshed! From what I was told it is all original and never been apart since it was new. $2500 and comes with engine stand. Call 308-390-6888 or e-mail me at matthewmusich@hotmail.com for pics!

I will post pics here tonight....matthewmusich@hotmail.com

Attachments

Images (1)
  • motor
Last edited {1}
Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

You are probably correct. I tried downloading specs off of a website. It did not come out of my 74, it came out of another guys 73. The mechanic who was going to rebuild it said it was definitely a 4 bolt main. But that is why I decided to go with a crate motor then I know it is built correctly!
The engine block is stamped D2AE-CA / DA11

The Harmonic balancer is stamped L2 ATC

The Heads are stamped 0G11 on one and 1E27 on the other, with a big 4 stamped on the top right and left corner of both heads.

As I am not a mechanic, I am not exactly sure what the engine is...but I am not trying to decieve anyone! let me know if any of you know the specs on this engine so I can post it correctly, THX!
OK,. your balancer is Nov of 1972.

Heads are 1970, July 11,and 1971 May 27. These are probably closed chamber heads. (You can check these by "feeling" in the combustion chamber with a bent up coat hanger....to see if you have the "ledge" that then falls off....)

If the DA11 is your casting date, I would guess that what you have is 0A11, or Jan 11, 1970.

Double check the casting date....as a D2AE-CA block should never have been cast in early 1970......

Steve
HMMMMM, did you forget to post a picture??? I see four holes....no main caps!

The xxxyyyyy's most likely indicates for certain that it is a "last of" the D2AE-CA castings, but whether it is drilled for four bolt mains and actually has the caps has not yet been proven! Smiler

Remember that this casting saw use in anything with a 351C after 1972....2-bolt or 4-bolt applications.....

I have little doubt that it doesn't have 4 bolt caps.....but to be sure, you either need to drop the front timing cover off, or drop the oil pan so you can look-see!!!

VERY CLEAN motor!!!! Musta been running synthetic oil or something!

Steve
Ron,

Most likely the reason that not many Pantera folks run Boss 351 heads, is price!

If I had a set of Boss heads, and a set of 70-71 CC heads side by side, I could sell the Boss heads for 5 -6 times more than the 70 closed chamber (CC) heads.

With that, I'd sell the Boss heads and pay for the work to put screw-in studs in the 70 CC heads, do the valve job, and take the wife out to dinner.....OR, I'd plop all that scratch down on a new set of aluminium C heads from Edelbrock!!!

Pretty simple economics!!! Restorers of 71 MACH1's have tossed the market on originals!

Ciao!
Steve
Very informative...thanks! I am buying a 475 HP 351C with aluminum 3v heads. So that is why I am selling this very well kept engine that I have been hoarding away in storage dreaming of the rebuild!!!! I would rather just get the whole new thing already put together without the hassle, and dyno'ed. What do you think?

I have had so many responses on EBAY for this motor that I have been overwhelmed with offers and questions!
Matt,

Just an FYI, but the fact that you have 1970 heads on a 1972-73 means that someone has been into this thing. Who knows what your bore size is...... You can hope that it is original....but it doesn't guarantee it!

You may be able to look thru a spark plug hole and read the numbers on the tops of the piston, to see if there is any .030 or .060 behind the part number to indicate an oversize bore. I've done this in the past! You should also be able to tell if this has dished pistons (stock) or if they have been replaced with flat tops to bring the compression ratio up out of the dumpster.... (max 9.5ish:1 with dished pistons and closed chamber heads)

As for the info from the eBay add regarding the XXX's etc, the statement that someone told you is not necessarily correct!

While the presence of the XXXX and YYY's indicates a "four bolt capable" block, it does NOT indicate how the casting was machined!!!! People do not seem to understand that Ford took a casting and many times machined it differently and assigned different part numbers to it for different applications!

A casting number is NOT a part number on Ford stuff! IF it is the same, it is coincidence. All it does, is identify the CASTING molds used.

So, until you drop the pan and confirm it, you will never be able to 100% guarantee that you have 4 bolt main caps. (You probably do, but I wouldn't bid without knowing for sure.)

Would also be a good idea to inspect a rod bearing or two to insure that this thing didn't have issues.... Perhaps even check the #4 main.

IMHO, the $2500 price tag is a bit off base. If it were a 1971 Boss 351 with all the bits and pieces, then you'd be in the ball park.

Shipping will run aprox $400-800 depending on who you use. Forward Air will be the most reasonable price, but are a little quirky to deal with. I just priced my 351C 4 bolt short block for shipping from CA to the east coast and it was around $400. You have heads, so add another 160lbs or so!!!
Ron,

My mistake!! I hate when the eyes see one thing, the brain translates it into another, and the fingers yet type something completely different!!! Smiler

I sold the top end (heavily modified!) off of my Boss 302 and swapped it for Aussie 2V heads. It gave my car manners again! With the guys running Silver State with 351C's and Aussie heads, doing 160+, I would be inclined to do the same....in lieu of the Boss 302 heads.

The 302 heads do need a little work to make them fit still (water passages), and are also commanding a tad more money than Aussie heads.

Convert the Aussie heads to adjustable rockers if need be, use the smaller (stock 2V) valve size (or install 2.19's) and you are set! I think my heads ran me around $1300 with ported bowls and the 2.19 conversion (something I totally missed when buying them!!! oops!) along with the adjustable rockers.

I'm all for modifying something inexpensive vs using something expensive that gives you little or no gain! ....or you just invest $$$ in shiny new aluminum parts that are ready to bolt together!

Ciao!!!
Steve
Not all aluminum Cleveland-type heads are Chinese! For instance, all 8 different types of SVO heads sold by Ford were made in the U.S. Not sure where Edelbrock-Cleveland heads were cast- probably somewhere in So-Cal. They have four main advantages:
1)- they cool better than iron due to the higher heat transfer rate of aluminum and the updated water passages built inside
2)- they weight some 40 lbs less per head, and are closed chamber, machined for an adjustable (Boss) valve train at no extra expense
3)- they have raised intake and exhaust ports which make more power from the same components as iron heads
4)- they are repairable by welding if things don't go according to Plan A...
They cost slightly more than Steve's reworked iron Aussie heads.
Link copied to your clipboard.