Skip to main content

Replies sorted oldest to newest

And this one is very interesting because shortly after it ran on Saturday the Mecum website listed it as sold for $105K. Now it is listed as unsold. I would love to know the true story behind what happened. Apparently this car has been for sale and/or re-sold many times over the past few years.

A fellow owner who has an excellent eye for detail questions whether this car could really have the low mileage stated, and why things like the exhaust and some other parts were changed on what was presented as a very original low-mileage car. Perhaps the high bidder felt differently when he got a closer look at the car post-sale?

Mark

Attachments

Images (1)
  • Red_74_Pantera
In addition to the 3 with pictures and the one without a picture in the original post, two additional Panteras were presented on Sunday evening.
The one without a picture in the original post states $100,000 with "The Bid Goes ON".
A 1973, with picture, sold for $60,000, stating 10,450 original miles and 28 years in climate controlled storage.
Another one, without picture, indicates $70,000 with"The Bid Goes ON".
Love the Mind Train exhaust on 217. The car did not sell because it wasn't real money. Sellers have 'friends' put the car just under reserve, then fall off the car. Next bid owns the car. That's exactly why when I sell at live auction[s] I'm super careful watching who I'm bidding against, as well as who is bidding on my cars. You have to work the crowd. It's a science. Beware of 'phone' & 'internet' bids as they are called 'blind' bids. Generally, when the car is rolling & doing 'all the money' the auctioneer will look down at you & tell you off mic, when it's 'real' money. You're good to sell then. Yes even auction houses shill. Car ~sellers~ also tell the auctioneer 'that's my guy' meaning keep the auction going. They may drop the hammer then if it's wasting their time, no sale. Be that as it may, just go in knowing what number you want to pay for a car, and never ever bid until the reserve is lifted, then jump in. Once it gets to your number, walk away if you get knocked off. I do good at auctions, there's money to be made both buying & selling. The good [buy] deals are always on 'off' times, never during full attendance or prime time when all the drunks are bidding. For selling, I pay-up for 'prime' spots on the best day, usually between 1500-2000.00 at Dana Mecums or Craig Jacksons. That buys you 2 minutes or so and your 'day in the sun' as they say. Some days you strike out, other days you knock it put of the park. But....if you don't play the game...

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.