Skip to main content

So I get the car out today for the first ride of the season which was great. However, after 3-4 months on the lift, the first time to the ground, the lift pukes about a pint or two of hydraulic fluid out of the reservoir onto the floor.

It was charged with the proper amount of ISO 32 (claim anti-rust, anti-wear, anti-foam) but it was clearly foaming pretty bad thus the over flow. The majority of the fluid had been sitting in the hydraulic cylinder for the duration.

It's a backyard buddy lift which mechanically has been very reliable. When I bought it, there was nothing in the way of a manual for the hydraulic pump. Even after a call to them. No manual on line at there site.

So any way, how often are all you guys with lifts changing fluid? Is foaming much of problem for anyone? This is 2 seasons for this fluid in a garage that is maintained at >45F. It's looking like fresh fluid should be added to my annual maintenace list. Anyone have a manual with recommendations for pump service for their lift?

Best Regards,
Kelly
Last edited {1}
Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

I have two Backyard Buddies and I have never had this happen. I put a Mobil 424 Hydraulic Oil in both of mine and have had no trouble. I have never changed oil in either of my lifts, and I have had them for about 5 years now.

This may be an oil issue. Make sure whatever oil you use is specifically an oil for hydraulic use only. It would be the same type of oil that would be used in a hydraulic excavator (backhoe). I know that Mobil as well as Chevron have good oils that are for commercial use. I could get the most recent Mobil and Chevron brand numbers so you can get one of these, or convert over to another brand. Just let me know if you are interested.

Mark
I used a Mobil product, it is specifically a commercial grade hydraulic oil (A.K.A. tractor oil). It is Mobil 424 hydraulic oil, and it is a 10W oil. The oil that we have in our shop right now is an Exxon product. It is called Exxon 560 hydraulic. The other product that I know is good is another commercial product from Chevron (that we are going to be using) called Chevron Ursa Hydraulic Oil 10W.

Panterror, if you cannot find this stuff, just give me a PM and I can bottle some up and send it to you for what I would have in it. Just let me know.

Mark
Link copied to your clipboard.