Skip to main content

Replies sorted oldest to newest

OK feel free to pick my ebay add apart... It is obvious I know nothing about These cars, did not even know which category to list it in! Seriously if you see anything that I should update the ad with let me know. What should I set my reserve at? Anyone have an idea? Hard to find comparables...
Sideoiler.
This is a very, very nice car, but it took me 20 minutes to find the listing doing searches.
Granted one could argue that seemingly I am semi-retarded (at least semi if not totally).
You did ask for suggestions. My first would be to correct the listing to Detomaso Pantera, so it comes up in a search. Second add 427 Tunnelport to the title on the second line.
The ad says that you will sell the car for $38,000 without the engine. Will you say what you will sell it for with the engine? (I'd actually consider dropping that comment)
In all honesty, I do find it difficult to believe that there is $200,000 spent on this car, justafiably. I could see half that maybe.
If you can document the components that went into the engine, the condition of those components, and who built it, it would help, a lot.
Is there a dyno chart for it?
If you haven't already,
I think that you should talk to Dave Adler and the folks at Pantera International about selling the car for you.
It is hard for me not to sound critical on this but if the car is as you state it is you may be doing yourself a very serious injustice by attempting to sell it youself on ebay.
You are only going to get bargin hunters there.
I suspect that there may be people on the verge of wanting to kill for just a drive in it. Who knows what they would do to own it? This car really should sell with little or no negotiation. Frankly there may be big buyers for it overseas as well.
It already has created alot rumblings with the 427TP.
It certainly wouldn't hurt my feelings or hurt my position as a Pantera owner to see it sell for six figures. It is just going to take the right buyer. I'm not in that catagory now although I do have plans to be a millionaire in the future.
Last edited by panteradoug
quote:
Originally posted by sideoiler:
OK feel free to pick my ebay add apart... It is obvious I know nothing about These cars, did not even know which category to list it in! Seriously if you see anything that I should update the ad with let me know. What should I set my reserve at? Anyone have an idea? Hard to find comparables...

Dear Mr. Sideoiler. You have a very nice car there. I have to agree with Doug. I must admitt I was tempted to rip you off myself but I have resisted the temptation. You need to sell this through Dave Addler. This is a very desireable car for the correct buyer. There are some who would buy this car and be very dissapointed not being able to find fuel for it. 13 to one compresion calls for something a little better than what is found at the local fuel pump. Still a very desirable engine in a very desireable car. I would think you would get more for the car as it is than partying it out that way. A great deal of effort has been expended mating these two legends up. Please contact Dave. He is an honest man.
Wow! Great advice and intelligently spoken! I am amazed I am getting as many hits on the counter as I am considering my blatant errors, actually more hits than the 68 Cougar I have listed currently. Probably due to this and the other Pantera boards clicking onto the link. I actually do have receipts for about $200k, dyno charts, detailed list of every part in it down to the brand of headlights. Dennis Quella oversaw the project and his bills alone tally into the tens of thousands of dollars. I think the biggest factor in the $200k figure is that the previous owner of many years paid to have all this work done (sometimes 3x over before it was done to his liking). Much of the technology he paid huge for long ago (like radar detector and sound system) is now worthless. Part of my reason for offering it without the motor is that the new aluminum blocks and heads now available seem much more suited for this ride than the cast iron and me being a 1968 GTE-427 Cougar fanatic makes this motor worth more to me than the average guy... Keep laying these well thought out suggestions on me and if I am forced to relist it I will be able to write a much more coherant ad. BTW I would be thrilled to get $50k (ish) for this, cannot see it doing six figures but I am flattered to hear you throw that figure into the mix! Don Rush www.classic-cougar.com
Thanks for the offer but I would prefer to trade towards my comfort zone which is Cougar, Mustang, Shelby, Torino. The only reason I bit on this one was the motor. I am 6'4" with size 14 shoe so this is fun for awhile but not long term. BTW I did a search in ebay motors with nothing but the word De Tomasa and it and all the others on ebay came up. I was thinking of starting the auction over but it is getting me many emails, calls and bids for how early on it is.
Whew! That's ok. I was worried all day. I want your car, I really do, but I love my car and it has caused me much anxiety, because I was like all torn. I want the 427, but I would be scared to death to drive it because if it busted it would costs a bagillion bucks to fix. My wife would beat me to death with the baseball bat too. I have been sweating all day that you would say yes. Thanks
My apologies Doug, It turns out when I did my search I used "Pantera" Not the Polish Sausage spelling of de tomaso (just how many ways can you mispell it!) It is now under item #4634254459 out of the Ford section and into the Other Makes. Thanks for putting up with such a rookie and setting me straight, talk about retard....
Sideoiler,
Wow! Nice car! I too am from the Portland area but have never seen or heard of this car (since there are not many in the area, I get "Pantera Sightings" from friends and co-workers), how long has this car been in this area? The Wednesday night Beaches Drags/Cruise is going on at P.I.R., do you ever attend the event. If you need any advice/help from a local Pantera owner, just let me know.

Ron
quote:
Originally posted by sideoiler:
My apologies Doug, It turns out when I did my search I used "Pantera" Not the Polish Sausage spelling of de tomaso (just how many ways can you mispell it!) It is now under item #4634254459 out of the Ford section and into the Other Makes. Thanks for putting up with such a rookie and setting me straight, talk about retard....

Don, caution, if you hang out with us you will begin to actually like the car, feel at home, understand it and start to consider keeping the car.
You can learn from our highly experienced crew on how not to reconnect your spark plug wires, amongst other highly technical issues.
I'm sorry but you certainly won't be able to spell from me.
quote:
Originally posted by DeTom:
quote:
how not to reconnect your spark plug wires

I dunno Doug, this is an FE. I know even less about it than I do the Cleveland. Maybe it is ok to hook up the spark plugs wrong on an FE. THey are pretty dern tuff, you know??

DT, gaining HP by switching the firing order was for the Chevy SB.
You just can't randomly switch them because one looks prettier on #6 then #5.
Well you can, but the car won't run to good.

As far as being a tough engine, I wouldn't use that termanology. They do make good industrial, particularly irrigation engines.
The mechanic on them needs to be tough to just do the plugs.
I need to get psyched up for a couple of weeks before I do them on my GT500. Then I need both psychological counciling and physical therapy afterwards, particularly since the 2x4's foul the plugs the first time you fire it up.
quote:
The mechanic on them needs to be tough to just do the plugs.
I need to get psyched up for a couple of weeks before I do them on my GT500. Then I need both psychological counciling and physical therapy afterwards, particularly since the 2x4's foul the plugs the first time you fire it up.

Hey Doug,you also have a Shelby?Man thats cool.Is that the 427 or 428.A friend of mine has a black 68 with 428 w/2-4's origional.
Link copied to your clipboard.