Skip to main content

Well yesterday I was finally able to drop in my 5.4 DOHC modular engine in #1683. It fits (barely)! I will have to snap some pictures and send them out. I had to modify my gas tank and the rear of the heads and now I have about 2 inches of clearance to the gas tank (insulated) and 2 inches of slearance to the inner wheelhouses. I still have a lot of work left but the hard part is over!

Kris
Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

Hay Madguy,
You sound as crazy as I am! I'm in the process of fitting a 5.4 Lightning motor/tranny into a '65 Mustang FB. Height was my major problem. I could make it fit, but needed more hood scoop that I wanted. After converting to a Mustang II front end and mocking up the adapter plates for an '03 Cobra blower with a modified Lightnig innercooler using plywood, the whole thing fits under a '65 GT350 box frame fiberglass hood. Machine shop has the intake and is fabricating the plates as we speak. Hope to finish up floor pans and get the body to the media blaster later this month. Have you rigged a by-pass for the computer security, if not how do you plan to handle the security issue?
quote:
Originally posted by b4_thndr:
Hay Madguy,
You sound as crazy as I am! I'm in the process of fitting a 5.4 Lightning motor/tranny into a '65 Mustang FB. Height was my major problem. I could make it fit, but needed more hood scoop that I wanted. After converting to a Mustang II front end and mocking up the adapter plates for an '03 Cobra blower with a modified Lightnig innercooler using plywood, the whole thing fits under a '65 GT350 box frame fiberglass hood. Machine shop has the intake and is fabricating the plates as we speak. Hope to finish up floor pans and get the body to the media blaster later this month. Have you rigged a by-pass for the computer security, if not how do you plan to handle the security issue?

b4

I am using a stand alone engine management system so PATS is not an issue.

As a side note the only real clearance issue I had is with the fuel tank. I had to have the front inside corner removed to clear the front drivers side cylinder head.

Kris
Link copied to your clipboard.