Skip to main content

Well, I was at a local cruise night recently, and it turned out to be one of 10 special evenings set up by the 'Cruise Nationals' organization around Toronto. At each of these evenings, 6 cars are chosen by the public to go on display at the CNE (Canadian National Exhibition). Well, #5754 got the nod from the car enthusiasts that night, so this weekend I'll be heading down to the show to join the 59 other cars selected from around the city. At the show they will be selecting 10 cars to be displayed at the Auto Show in February ... I'm not holding my breath for that - I've heard the judges typically go for classics from the 40's, 50's & 60's - but we'll see what happens.

Anyway, if anyone is going to the CNE this Saturday, drop by the 'Cruise Nationals' paddock near the bandshell and say hi!
Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

I had a great time at the event, mother nature co-operated and there was a brief sun-shower (barely even that).

The event included breakfast and lunch at one of the 'RibFest' vendors, and all 60 of us owners received a goody bag with a Cruise Nationals jacket, t-shirt, ball-cap and participation plaque. There were also a number of events - guess the # of nuts/bolts/sparkplugs in the bottle, identify a dozen rusty car parts, the piston-toss and the alternator-put.

Sad to say, I didn't win any of the events, and the Pantera wasn't one of the 10 cars selected to attend the Auto-Show in February Frowner

... However, I went in with no expectation of winning, but just as as an opportunity to get the car in front of a broader audience - the cars selected were all beautiful, somewhat predictable based on what I've seen in the past, and I wouldn't have traded the Pantera for any of them (well, maybe the '63 split window vette - which I'd sell to buy back my Pantera, a second cat and a garage lift). The reason I wouldn't trade? ... While I was congratulating the guy with the '71 Nova SS that was selected as one of the 10 (he was parked next to me and we chatted off and on throughout the day), we heard this shrill H&*# C*&^, H&*# C*&^ from a kid as he ran up to the Pantera and stood slack-jawed in front of it - I've seen that reaction a dozen times in the last year (and it isn't just the kids).

OK, so what cars get selected by the judges?

Last year it was:
1932 Chevrolet Coupe
1933 Ford Cabriolet
1936 Ford Coupe
1936 Ford Pick-up
1956 Chevrolet Pick-up
1956 Ford Thunderbird
1957 Chevrolet Belaire Convertible
1967 Camaro
1968 Plymouth Roadrunner
1972 Dodge Challenger

This year's winners...

Hey Russ, Who picked the winners? 8-12 year old kids...

They all seem to be parked in the same row.

Maybe you parked in the wrong location.

Heck that Merc is a 4 door with tacked-on parts !!!!

The 49 F-1 is neither original or custom...

No Stangs? No Ford muscle cars Frowner

Well as stated no expectations, had a great day.
Happy you had fun. Whish we could have joined you.

See ya in Kingston
Denis
Dennis, Good Eye! I should have clarified, the 10 winners were all moved to a separate location for a photo-shoot after the judges announced their choices.

Had it been 8-12 year old kids, I'm sure the Pantera would have been in the top 10 Wink

The '32 3-window coupe was a fiberglass kit with an LT-1 engine, satellite radio & TV ... but I still liked the pretty colours :-)

Myself, I would have put the '69 Shelby GT500 in the top 10, it was gorgeous ...

Attachments

Images (1)
  • P1210390
Last edited by 5754
Link copied to your clipboard.