Skip to main content

Replies sorted oldest to newest

quote:
Originally posted by comp2:
Is it me or does it seem the e-mail detomaso bb is dying. The only thing you see on it anymore is infighting then nothing for a while.

Probably not. Itseems to me that they have a much larger body of actual participants than this board. We have 62 people signed in of which only 5-10 of us are actually posting. The POCA Realbig email forum has 700 some active listeners - all the time - many of whom also listen in here. And, since the 1st of March, I counted about 90 different people making posts just from the A thru M's when I got tired of counting. In fact, since POCA took over the email forum, it's usage has grown considerably. And it has a searchable archive that goes back to 1997.

Both boards offer good information and camraderie. Just like both clubs have something to offer. The more we grow the Pantera community, wherever it is, the better for the marque, for the vendors, for prospective owners, and for actual owners. I'm a member of both clubs and I'm happy to see both lists getting better. Just my 2 cents, as Jack DeRyke says.

Jeff
I've been on both since 2001. I, like many others on the DT forum, have opted out of receiving the real time emails or even the daily digest, and I follow it all through the archives which are posted in just about real time. If I see a post needing a reply, it is easy enough to do by just opening another window.

The PIBB has grown a LOT in recent months and is far more interesting than say a couple of years ago. I enjoy the picture posting abilities, the varied subjects so if you are not interested in mangustas or sexual harassment issues Wink you can pick and choose.

I enjoy both for the information shared and De Tomaso Family brotherhood shown.

I think if you are on just one, you are missing out on worthwhile postings, people and knowledge.

Larry (who has pissed off folks on BOTH sites Big Grin, and made a few friends, too Wink )
quote:
Originally posted by jeff6559:
....We have 62 people signed in of which only 5-10 of us are actually posting....

The list of active, posting members on the DTBB is well over 100 at this time. I tried doing a head count recently, of people who have posted within the last 3 months, and I ran out of steam at just past 100.

Last night around 1 AM, we had another episode, like the other week, where over 100 guests were on line. Still no idea where the high level of guests in the middle of the night are coming from, I'm guessing Europe.

Dave gets a usage report every month from Groupee, activity here on the DTBB is way up. There are over a thousand "visits" to this site every day. (I think half are mine, lol...) Dave recently had to increase the amount of disk space he pays for each month. A tab that is paid entirely by PI Motorsports.

The missions of POCA and PI are a bit different, serving different needs amongst the Pantera owner community, I am in agreement, both are needed. One thing PI does very well is to serve the "remote" owners, who don't live near any other Pantera owners or a POCA chapter. For instance Bill (LPB). For owners like Bill, this is their club, their place to socialize with other owners.

I did the mail list until last year. I decided both was too much, and decided to choose and focus on one forum. I like this format better.

your friend on the DTBB
Hi guys,
Mostly a reader here and on the deTomaso forum. The post below got me slammed by several.

"I have been a reader of this forum for many years. I rarely post because my questions are very basic and are often ignored . If I need help I have Mike Daily or Dick Koch here in Atlanta for assistance. No question is to basic or stupid from me that they ever fail to patiently answer. I have also e-mailed Jack directly and he also has never hesitated to answer my questions.

I often watch this forum as novice Pantera owner's questions go un answered. It seems as if your question does not meet the core group's standard as worthy of response it is ignored.

If you want to build up Pantera awareness than try helping those of us who are not building cars for Silver State, but still need help maintaining our cars.

For those of you looking for an alternative to this forum I highly recommend the PI Board. It is moderated by George Pence and goes from very technical discussions to the most basic. A very friendly and helpful group. And it is easy to use and you can add the ever helpful pics."

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
quote:
The post below got me slammed by several.

OH!!! So you're THAT guy, eh!!?? Wink

Wasn't it nice of the a**hole who invited you to leave and go to Hall Pantera? He confirmed just what you were talking about.

PIBB is more polite, most of the time, than the forum. There are a couple over there that get their panties all ruffled up over nothing; they don't have the class to just deal with it.

But for the most part, I find both venues pretty responsive to the newbies questions and problems.

When you start getting slammed over at the forum, just remember to bite your tongue and let them ramble on. It doesn't pay to have a battle of wits with an unarmed man.

Stooping to their level just lowers yours.

I'm glad to have you on both lists.

Larry
I knew as soon as I posted my thread that I would get slammed by a few. However, I felt it needed to be said. It is just common decency to try and help others. If new or perspective owners are ignored it hurts the Pantera community in the long run.

There is a core group of regular posters on that forum with a great deal of technical knowledge who seldom if ever respond to simple basic questions. I always search the archives first but some times I am looking to see if there are newer ideas or recommendations.

The solution for me is simple. I plan on spending more time on the P.I. and getting to know the posters here.
Jeff
Atlanta
quote:
Originally posted by george pence:
The missions of POCA and PI are a bit different, serving different needs amongst the Pantera owner community, I am in agreement, both are needed.

A little perspective: I posted the info about the POCA email forum usage to celebrate the fact that we are fortunate to have 2 lively places to talk Panteras. Not to dis the PI BB. If I thought any other way, I certainly wouldn't be spending as much time here (or there)as I do. Both have something to offer; both serve the community; both are different. With two forums, I get twice as much Pantera content, some good some bad, but all Pantera.
Rather than judge, let's enjoy them for what they are.

Jeff
For one reason or another people often pick one or the other to be a main forum. I really don't see one providing different services to the other. What I do see is this forum is organization you can't get out of a list. With this organization people jump in the topic area they are interested in which makes it, as I said, more organized. When one person groups with people, they gennerally don't jump ship so I don't see many people who have already "grouped" over there recognizing this has any functional advantages....Until everyone over there is gone.

Please don't post my coments over there. This was said and meant for this forum. If I want to say it over there I'll say it over there.

Gary
I frequent both boards and have had positives on both. Of course, none are perfect nor are the members. There are always people with no tact (or class) who are combative with their responses and speak without thinking. They are just a part of life and as Larry says, are to be ignored. In all fairness to the users of DeTomaso Archieves, I have gotten a ton of assistance from its users since I started a couple of years back so I think that its unfair to group everyone as unresponsive to questions (if this wasn't meant, that's what it sounded like) I believe that this prompted the hostile response. In any case, I find both places extremely helpful and am thankful that we have these resources. Thank you to all for providing me a place to hang out, learn, and make new friends!
Link copied to your clipboard.