Skip to main content

I just read in the July 17 issue of Autoweek in the market section. A '67 Mangusta was sold at Bonhams Monte Carlo Monaco ( I guess it's an auction). It was described as, "Panels appear to be sound, with variable gaps, especially at the rear cowl. Paint is okay, the wheels(rims) are scraped ( I guess he means curb rash). Original seats look pretty used, and the engine bay looks particularly suspect and has no battery. Seems to have been setting for about 10 years rather than driven." The author goes on to say, that in spite of the not so good appearance of the car, the sale price is nearly $24,000 over the high estimates. If this is any indication, maybe DeTomaso cars are getting some recognition, at least in Europe.
Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

DeTom, The almost $60,000 was for a non running car in need of restoration. I would assume (knowing there are 3 words in assume) that anyone paying that much must be thinking restoration, and what it will take to restore it, the total cost is in the $100K area. I also like the fact that a less than stellar DeTomaso car was at an auction in Monaco.
All I can say is the #'s seem to be going up and if you want to create interest .... drive your car .... show up at the shows and car clubs and meets .... no body knows what a Pantera is sitting in a garage. I have to say last friday night a bunch of young guys thought my car was a kit ..... a older gentlemen heard this and lectured the young guys on the history of Panteras ..... I sat there and smiled. After he was done the older guy shook my hand and said WOW nice car. I have to say sitting amongst street rods, stock cars, and race cars... the Pantera did real well .. people are still attracted to this 27 year old Italian Sports Car. And there are not many around. Be Patient .... if the price goes up what you going to do sell it ?
Link copied to your clipboard.