Skip to main content

These wheels were purchased by me because of a false description of size on eBay, and because of this, they will not work on my non-Pantera project. Here is pretty much the entire ad with the false parts removed:
quote:
I'm cleaning out the garage and getting rid of some old part I have been hanging on to. I have two set of campys from my old Pantera days. This auction is for one set. They are the glss beaded set. A few years back I had a Pantera and I bought a couple sets of wheels for the track. I was planning on setting up one set with slicks, the other with sticky gooey street tires. Like most things, I never got around to it. Now I'm selling both sets. This set I got as far as glass beading them in preparation of repainting them. They have sat ever since. They will need to started over from scratch. They have been sitting a few years in the raw.

quote:
Question & Answer
Q: Are there 2 8"s for the front & 2 -10" for the rears? Do you know if Are they straight?(Have you ever had tires on them)? thanks, John
A: There are 2 8's and two 10's. I have never used either set or mounted tires on them. I explained why I bought them but sold the car prior to useing them.
Q: are they chipped ? can the scrapes be filed?
A: They can be made to look brand new. There are wwheel restoration places all over the web. I sent out my Torque Thrust aluminum wheels from american racing. They were pitted, filthy and scaped. They came back, you would swear they were not the same wheels. Cost to restore range from as low as $50 per wheel up to $250 per. I think I paid about $100 a piece.

These are 15x7s and 15x8s. Because my camera is missing, I can only take limited, low-quality pictures with my phone, so I will reuse the pictures from the ad that I have rehosted:

As well as these 2 photos from my phone, showing width:

I would like to get $200 +shipping for them as that is how much I have towards them. Please send me any offer you would like though.
Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

It could be that the condition looks like they wheels would need expensive inspection to ensure they are safe to use.

The limited supply of tires, relative abundance of clean 7" & 8" wheels out there, and the desirability of the more rare 10" wheels make the market for work-intensive wheels a bit slimmer.

Why not toss them back on eBay and see what the market will offer on them. You never know, you could end up with more. Good luck!

Mark
This is an excessively tough sell. I have 6 of these wheels now, after buying various 'complete' sets with about as accurate a description as you got (!) in hopes of assembling a full 'spare' set.

THE problem to me, is the glass beading from many years ago. Unlike the aluminum wheels that your seller got refinished, magnesium loves to take in moisture and grow weak. I sent a set of wheels to three different so-called 'wheel restoration' places and NONE could breathe life back into one wheel that had some moisture intrusion.

Sick as this sounds, I'll likely turn it into a shelf support at my garage.

You won't like my answer, but the safety factor of those wheels UNLESS YOU CAN PROVE OTHERWISE will be a large deterrent, suppressing the market to near zero.

So, to prove their integrity, I'd have a pro look at them and IF deemed worthy, recoat them, then re offer for sale. This way you can offer trustable wheels ready to bolt up.

Best wishes.
Last edited by ahudson
I like the bookshelf idea! I considered turning some BBS wheels that I have into a coffee table base, but could never get myself to use such a good wheel for such a small cause.
I will not sell these wheels if they are unsafe like you said, so we will call these off the market. I will find an alternative use for them. Thank you VERY much for the info.
The wheels aren't necessarily a loss. Since they're stripped, they can easily be inspected for cracks. Properly anneal them as described in the attached article. Spray with zinc chromate primer from Aircraft Spruce, then spray with any number of paints that come very close to original in appearance. I used Eastwood's Argent Silver wheel paint, followed with their Diamond Coat Clear on my wheels and they look brand new.

If you don't want to go to all that trouble, put them on ebay for what they are with complete descriptions and lots of pictures. Someone will want them. Set a no-reserve auction and let the market determine what they're worth. I paid $50 for one complete set of 7's & 8's but found that one wheel was cracked when I stripped it. I've seen sets of 7's & 8's on ebay for $200-$600 in the last year. Personally, I consider $100-$300 for a good set of 7's & 8's to be in the ballpark. Bear in mind that shipping will likely run about $60 per wheel. If you're a POCA member, you can put an ad in the POCA newsletter for free too.

Attachments

Link copied to your clipboard.