Skip to main content

Thanks for the info Dave! The car will be put on a lift and inspected by my mechanic.
The owner stated that before he had the engine rebuilt he had the shift linkage adjusted to get it to shift smoother...but he states that now,after the motor is back in the car 2nd gear is hit or miss...does the ZF have 2nd gear problems or could it just need more adjusting? There is less than 500 miles on the new motor so I'm assuming that the linkage needs re-adjusting.It had a new clutch assembly installed durring the engine rebuild.By the way...25,000 firm is what the owner will take!If all goes well it will be in my garage soon!
Original Post
The price sounds great. You may want to post your question on the ZF forum for master trans man, Lloyd Butfoy to analyze. I suspect the synchros and/or second gear is on the skids. One big cause of this problem is that the driver does not fully depress the clutch, which is a good practice to follow. Be prepared for a ZF service or overhaul though. If the owner can't document when, if ever the tranny was serviced or overhauled, you can pretty much anticipate that you will be faced with this situation. However, once you do have the trans gone through and serviced as recommended, you should be ready to have a lot of fun with this interesting car. Let us know how it works out.
DAve!
Link copied to your clipboard.