Skip to main content

StickerCity just came out with a new vinyl that has a 3Dimensional surface so that it catches the light like carbon fiber does:
http://www.stickercity.com/pro...d=21813&cat=0&page=1
It should be a better match than what I have at the moment. I'll probably switch to that stuff soon. I was using their older stuff, which is simply printed. Looks acceptable at a distance, but that's it. Doesn't stand up to a closer look. I'll still grab a pic for you, but I'm pretty sure the new stuff is the way to go.

-Chris
April 2nd, 2011
After a long break, I’ve come back to the Pantera for another round. This time the focus is on finishing the interior and engine compartment. This is the new lump of iron and aluminum which is going in. After literally years of thinking about the motor, I ultimately went with my gut and I am really excited about the end result. This is a Windsor stroker motor with Webers that just put down 592hp on the engine dyno. I think it’s beautiful.

April 24th, 2011
Jaime and I have been working on the Pantera dash. It’s the last piece of the interior that needs to be redone. Once it was out of the car and stripped, most of the holes were fiberglassed over. We won’t be using the old factory vents and such, so we made new holes, sanded, prepped, etc. Today we covered the dash in dense foam padding. I just manned the spray adhesive while Jaime made patterns and trimmed. Tomorrow the upholstery work begins. We have some very cool ideas in the works, so hopefully all goes to plan! Pardon the low res photos, but I left my fancy camera at work and shot these with the iPod.

April 30th, 2011
More photos to show from the Pantera.

Pic with the dash removed and the new Vintage Air unit:

The electronics are moved to the right side of the engine compartment for easy access.

The gas tank was rusty inside. I always had to run fresh fuel filters to keep the gunk out of the motor. Since the motor was out, it was time to freshen up the gas tank. It was boiled out and re-sealed.

Extra holes welded up in the engine bay. Everything is removed and ready for paint:

And here is the engine bay back from paint. Looks nice, cleaned up, and the semi-gloss black will keep the focus on the motor and trans.

May 14th, 2011
Check it out! Jaime and I finished up the Pantera dash this morning. Would have finished last weekend but we ran out of adhesive. I visited five stores on Sunday, looking for more but nobody carries it. We gave up and had to order it on-line. At any rate, the dash is done now. It’s not perfect, but that’s how these things go. Still looks impressive overall, and much improved over the 39 year old vinyl that it replaced.

The material is Alcantara up top to reduce windshield glare, and Ultraleather on the rest. Blue contrast stitching follows along the top edge where the two materials meet.

Thanks to Jaime for working so hard on it. Next step is to get it into the car.

May 25th, 2011
The dash is back in the car and the electronics are hooked up. Seats, center console, various bits and pieces still need to be put in. The Vintage Air system really blows! Looks nice. I gotta see if I can change the air control knob lights to blue so they’ll match the rest of the interior.

The transmission is back from its rebuild and polish. Looks amazing, and it should, considering what it costs to rebuild a ZF. :P

May 18th, 2011
Everything is still being hooked up, but it’s sitting in place on motor mounts. Yay! I don’t think the engine and trans could “pop” much more against that semi-gloss black engine bay.

The deck lid has to be cut a little bit so that it can close and we will need to find a solution for the engine cover. I am also going to get taller velocity stacks so that they are slightly taller than the deck lid.

June 4th, 2011
Mmmmmm, Forgeline wheels. I have waited soooooooo long for these (17 weeks to be exact). This is the first time they’ve done nickel plated deep dish lips of this magnitude. Big Grin Satin black, center-lock centers. Titanium fasteners. This is pic taken while the wheels were being assembled. I’ll post new pics soon.

More progress in the engine bay too. Axles are back in. Chassis brace is polished and installed. New motor mounts, pulleys, belts, etc. AirCon condenser and new fan in place. I thought I had new velocity stacks, but the company sent me steel stacks instead of the aluminum ones that were advertised. Uh, no. Ordered another set from a different company. Fingers crossed.

July 6th, 2011
I worked with Josh over at PIMotorsports to come up with this design for the new engine cover. Webers always require a little trimming of the deck lid, and that’s where most Pantera owners leave it. Cut a hole and call it good. But I wanted it to look finished, as if the car was designed to have Webers from the beginning. I wanted something that would sit flush with the top of the velocity stacks and we also needed the engine cover to remain rigid.

So this new engine cover evenly wraps around the velocity stacks (not pictured) and ramps up to their max height. It ramps down and sits flush with the deck lid at the back. It’s seen here in bare fiberglass, but it’s off to paint this week so we should see the finished product next week. So exciting!

July 22nd, 2011
We are very close to being able to drive the Pantera home. Looks like next week everything will be buttoned up and ready to go. I have some new pics of the engine cover for you. Once I get it home I’ll smooth and paint the trimmed pieces of the deck lid, and get to work on a bunch of other little bits and pieces.

August 15th, 2011
Two years ago this month we were putting fender flares on the Pantera. How crazy. It seems like just a few months ago.

I’ve been working hard on the Pantera for the last two weekends. Nothing terribly visual, just a bunch of important odds and ends. I have a good number of cuts, scrapes and bruises, and I think a separated rib.

Swapped in a new 100 amp alternator. Got the timing and fuel pressure set properly. Have the carbs pretty close. Put the rest of the interior back together. Painted the under side of the decklid and cleaned up the cut-outs around the webers. Re-painted the engine cover semi-gloss black. Moved the throttle cable to a higher position on the gas pedal, etc, etc.

Drove the car around all weekend to put some miles on the motor. The ol Pantera gets tons of attention and drinks plenty of gas. Every time I parked the car people were taking photos or asking questions about it. I took a couple quick pics myself to show the finished engine cover and decklid set-up.

quote:
Originally posted by Corey Price:
MacMan,
Are you just going to run w/o an air cleaner? Doesn't that shorten engine life?

Real men don't need air cleaners! Smiler It gets parked in the garage, it doesn't rain in SoCal and I don't put a ton of mileage on it, so I don't expect it'll be an issue. Whiplash has never run filters on his either, and I got a ride in it a month or two back, and the thing still screams. Smiler

I just put screens on them to keep anything big out.

I'll keep an eye on the oil and see if I can get a sense of it getting dirty more quickly.
quote:
Originally posted by pantera2077:
As with everyone else you car came out amazing.

I too was wondering about which vingtage air unit you used like ktmike asked?

Are the electronic controls for temp and flapper setting part of the vintage air unit or sourced seperately? Looks like a good solution to eliminate those pesky sliders.

Thanks!!! I'm still gonna dig up those part numbers for you. All the AC related parts, the vents and the controls are all Vintage Air stuff. That was my big concern for the AC, was getting rid of the cable sliders. :P
quote:
Originally posted by MacMan:
quote:
Originally posted by Corey Price:
MacMan,
Are you just going to run w/o an air cleaner? Doesn't that shorten engine life?

Real men don't need air cleaners! Smiler It gets parked in the garage, it doesn't rain in SoCal and I don't put a ton of mileage on it, so I don't expect it'll be an issue. Whiplash has never run filters on his either, and I got a ride in it a month or two back, and the thing still screams. Smiler

I just put screens on them to keep anything big out.

I'll keep an eye on the oil and see if I can get a sense of it getting dirty more quickly.

Please let us know how it goes. It doesn't rain that much here in Utah either, but we definitely have dust... I was under the impression that air cleaners can be a fire hazard if the webers aren't tuned correctly.

It does look great, by the way!
Wow, beautiful build. I really like what you did with the fiberglass Weber plate -- looks factory.

The carburetor inspired dash ducts look nice too -- did you make these too? I am interested in what you used for the Vintage Air unit as well. Does it interfere with your A/V equipment? Do you have any A/V stuff in your car -- I cannot remember from the photos I just looked at 2 minutes ago; scary.

Looks Great!

Mark
So we used the Compac Gen II system. It has heat/cool/defrost. Part number is 68000-VUZ-A.

Those carb inspired vents are optional Vintage Air bits. I love em. I really want to take the blades off and have them brass plated to complete the look. Smiler

I don't currently have any audio equipment in the car (besides the mufflers), but my center console has plenty of room. I have a pocket where the radio would go.

We DID loose the glovebox. That was the only sacrifice. The dash was totally smoothed over there. I don't have any gloves anyway. Wink
I've been watching this thread and don't know where to start on my comments.....the original car was nice to start with... then it started to transform into THE DREAM. Where do you start your compliments: the paint, the flares, the engine, interior? I can only imagine the time you have spent on the car. Absolutely outstandingly beautiful work!

Isn't it illegal to run an air cleaner on Webers! Well maybe immoral, the horns look way too cool. LOL The sound they give is amazing. You can run a screen to keep the big pieces from going in the engine or a screen and a foam dust catcher. I've seen full blown air cleaners run on Webers but that kills the look. I ran the foam dust catcher type and it was pretty good protection, maybe not for dirt roads but I don't think they'll be driving much of that.

What size chokes are you running? Is it dialed in? I remember it was an experience dialing it in.
Link copied to your clipboard.