Skip to main content

Replies sorted oldest to newest

Based only on your description and type of parts that may be needed. I say run away from that car if you are thinking about making it a project. Buying hard to find body panels can break the bank. However it may be a good car to part out and make some money on if you have the time and storage space.

Also check out Mike Daileys Pantera Place web site under technical information for more information on rust area's and buying Pantera's

http://panteraplace.com/
Despite the rust, is the car complete? Interior, ZF (the most valuable piece), engine, trim, etc?

The ZF alone is probably worth the asking price, or close to it. So as Mark said, it may definitely be worth parting out. Just a matter of whether or not you have the time, space, and inclination to do that.
Heck, if you are really good, like on the level of a guy who hand builds cars, you may just start from scratch using the rust bucket as a pattern to fabricate all new parts and panels from. When you got done, many years from now, you would have a totaly new Pantera from the ground up. Just take the VIN numbers off the old one, put it on your brand new hand crafted Pantera, and drive away in the worlds first brand new Pantera since 1990!!!
But if you aren't that good, it is best to just part it out and buy another one with all the profit you are going to make. You will make your money back over three fold.
The car is located in Richmond B.C., Canada, near the Vancouver airport. I just checked it out. I have never seen so much rust on a Pantera! Apparently it was originally from Hawaii, driven here for a few years, then it sat under a tree in somebodys back yard for seven years. No cover or anything. Now it still sits out in the open. It is actually mostly there, what's left of it. The drive train looks to be complete, with headers and a heavily oxidised intake and newer carb. Stock wheels. It's a 73. The area under the wiper grills that collects water when it rains is completely missing exposing the underside of the dash and interior (complete with mold and grass growing), The front fenders are there, mostly, but missing from the crease in the body lines under the front parking lights, both sides and the entire area is missing that holds the front grill. That's missing also. The mufflers are there but rusted off and hanging. The frame and floorboards actually looked ok. The rockers have many holes in them as does the drivers door near the window (holes), and the passenger door is heavily dented and rusted also. The hood is missing about a third of the front part, rusted away. The roof looks like it has major bondo in it, right where Panteras usually rust on the roof from side to side just behind where the rear window joins up underneath. Obviously from that felt piece that was put in at the factory which just collects moisture over time thrown up from the rear wheels into those little areas behind the side gills. Hard to dry out. The suspension looks to be all there and it does roll. The interior is complete but the seats are rotted of course. It has body flexing cracks in numerous places. The rear deck is salvalgeable with some metal replacement. Lots of rust around the rear light buckets and back quarters. The front and rear bumpers are not salvageable. The passenger door would not open, all the mechanisms are rusted shut. All glass is good. It has a luggage tray and the transaxle looks to be untouched and all linkage is there as well as the halfshafts. It looks like it was shut off one day and abandoned. Probably was. The owner wants $10,000 Cdn or $9,000 US for it. In my opinion it is WAY overpriced. Maybe half that for a few parts only. Maybe less...... He said he was firm on that price. He owns a body shop and was in the process of moving, so I expect the car to sit where he has now stored it (in a gravel storage yard where lots of semi trucks are parked) until it rots away completely. Just my opinion.......

Unfortunately I don't have a digital camera but I tried to describe it the best I can. I have had three Panteras (still have two) and know them very well.
I'm rebuilding a rusty car from New Jersey. I have about one half of the rust repaired. It's difficult but not impossible. It is satisfying to see the rotted metal get replaced with brand new steel. I've also rust protected the new steel. I drove the car with no drivers floorboard! It just appraised for 52k, so with tons of work(did it myself and saved $) they are worth it in the end, so buy it!!!
With all possible respect to Keithstoy, PanteraSteve has seen the car. Be advised that he knows what he is talking about, having had his main Pantera since before some of the PIBB particpants were born. PanteraSteve is currently in the middle of a bare metal restoration of another Pantera. You ignore his advice at your peril.
Link copied to your clipboard.