Skip to main content

What parts are needed to convert my '73 to '74 style wipers?
Has anyone done this?
Why is the '74 the only year to offer the wipers parked on the passenger side?

Upon examination the grills appear not to be reversable. They are slightly curved to match the windhield. The wiper shafts protrude through a molded opening point outward.

I was hoping that I could reverse them but nope.
Last edited {1}
Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

When I restored the MGB I did not want to mess with the MG wipper system. It was always weak. I chose aftermarket wippers from the Hot Rod industry. Not only are the motors and windings up to date with the way things are buil;t today but parts are available here through the local companies which is a plus too.

http://www.spwkits.com/powerwiperkits.htm

The wippers are mounted very similar to the way to the Pantera wipper assembly. The motor and gear box can be angled and mounted off too the side. This is what I plan on using for my Pantera. They can be parked either left or right.

My thinking is simply that if one was to employ the use of the Pantera wipers, the '74 parking location would be better for me as a driver as far as less obstructed view.

The 73 and the 74 grills are different and the 73's can't be modified into the '74 configuration.

The gear boxes look the same. The cables from the motor and from gearbox to gearbox must be a different length.

The mounting of the gearboxes are likey just mounting bracket issues.

Since I'm going to be stripping down for paint soon, I'm trying to get all these miscellanious mechanical details finalized.

While there seem to be quite a few pre-L parts cars around, the L parts cars are rare and the '74 is well, next thing to impossible to find, reasonably price that is.

So the answer is I need '74 grills and cables. Anyone have those parts for sale?
Link copied to your clipboard.