Skip to main content

Replies sorted oldest to newest

You must have ALL of the factory installed equipment, including and especially the air cleaner and all it's parts. All the dist. vacuum controls and the charcoal/fume can, etc. etc.(I have a fume canister that I removed from my car, and any club member may have this can for free!). Now, last year the '73's were exempt from smog, weather or not the '74's are "UP" this year? Give a call to your DMV. My Panther IS a '74L and this year it was exempt from all smog, BECAUSE I have it registered with HISTORICAL PLATES!!! The reg. fees are also much cheaper! My yearly fee is $40. Now here's the catch 22! Be sure you know the "rules" that go with these plates,(when do Pantera drivers ever play by the rules? or even have any?) anyway here are only a few of them: The vehicle "can only"(loosly used here) be used for "parades", "exibitions", "car club functions", "car shows", "limited miles drivin"(most owners do this anyway)!!ECT. ETC. When I get pulled over I just tell the officer something in the effect of:, "I belong to two car clubs, I'am "on parade" exibiting my machine in a "showing off manner!!"". He'll say "Nice car!" and walk away scratching his head!! Regards, Marlin.

[This message has been edited by MARLIN JACK (edited 09-20-2002).]
One last thing" your "4 mufflers"! are you talking 4 chrome tips? or the 4 "european" "can" mufflers?? either way, I DO NOT foresee you having any problem! But in the final outcome it is souly between you and the person doing the smog inspection!! In 2001 I had to have a smog inspection, the inspector (one heck of a nice guy) must have worked on the car for 2-3 hours(this was the second visit, as the first time the car heated up and blew collant out of the overflow and I had to fix that. It was one non working fan, loose hoses, and loose pressure cap). On the second try, He made it pass! I found later when I changed from a 600 holley to 750 holley; that the egr was corroded away and leaking, the vacuum diafram was broken an disfunctioning, and that the carb had leaking needles and seats! It had to be running very rich. But he made it pass! Marlin.

[This message has been edited by MARLIN JACK (edited 09-20-2002).]
Wink, is your car a Pantera that was actually built in '74, or simply first registered in '74? The white tag on your doorframe will tell you when the actual build-date was, as well as by decoding the serial number. Many CA Panteras originally registered in '74 have re-registered them as 1973 since thats when they were built, thus saving untold hours at the Dumb-V waiting in line. Or, as Marlin said, the Historical plate method also saves much time as you're then 'out-of-the-loop' as far as the Smog Lords are concerned. The rolling- exemption law for cars 21 years old, and older was due to be changed last year, but the many sponsors of the bills that would have voided this feature have withdrawn or modified them into extinction. You could be a test case by trying to get a resolution on this! Good luck....
Here in Massachusetts, we use Antique Plates.
you may use the vehicle any time, as long as you are not transporting anyone to and from work. and you cannot use it for any commercial purposes. You are also exempt from emision inspection, as long as the car is 25 years or older. which you have to be, in order to get the Antique plate.
Happy Trails.
Link copied to your clipboard.