Skip to main content

Replies sorted oldest to newest

I read in the Uk Detomaso Club magazine that the later GT5-S Pantera's with the Windsor motor are only about 250bhp. The 'performance package' makes little if no difference.
The earlier european cars with Cleveland motors are around 310bhp as standard.
Of course there aren't many GT5-S that are still standard... Big Grin
The performance package was a new intake and Holley carb, but no change to the internals. That's why 50 hp seems pretty darn optimistic for such a basic swap.

I know of at least 2 late model GT5-S cars delivered with the 'super-duper sport motor" in Windsor format and they paid for this option. During a subsequent rebuild they found that their engines were bone-stock truck motors. Sure, they probably had some torque but it was far from what they were expecting.

For whatever reason, DeTomaso occasionally did open up a motor and change cam, heads, intake, and all that. But it was rare, I'm lead to believe.

And you are right - there are few GT5-S or anything else that is running around with the same standard engine they were sold with! Mine isn't...
The performance package was a new intake and Holley carb, but no change to the internals. That's why 50 hp seems pretty darn optimistic for such a basic swap.

I know of at least 2 late model GT5-S cars delivered with the 'super-duper sport motor" in Windsor format and they paid for this option. During a subsequent rebuild they found that their engines were bone-stock truck motors. Sure, they probably had some torque but it was far from what they were expecting.

For whatever reason, DeTomaso occasionally did open up a motor and change cam, heads, intake, and all that. But it was rare, I'm lead to believe.

And you are right - there are few GT5-S or anything else that is running around with the same standard engine they were sold with! Mine sure isn't...

And you are right - there are few GT5-S or anything else that is running around with the same standard engine they were sold with! Mine sure isn't...
Link copied to your clipboard.