Skip to main content

Replies sorted oldest to newest

Unless things have changed, the Series I rack, which is self-centering, is nearly impossible to rebuild or a rebuilder that knows what they are getting into, will not touch it. The case can't be opened and has to be cut open. I have heard of owners swapping out the unit for something else that will work. Please post here and tell us if you figure out a solution.
Finlandese,
Afraid I know nothing about the rack on a Longchamp but if I were you my first choice of someone knowledgeable in Europe would be Roland Jaeckel in Germany. Roland supplies many factory DeTomaso parts for all their different models & may well be able to answer all of your questions. Try e-mailing him at "Jaeckel-Partner-GMBH at t-online.de" & good luck.
Finlandese,

I have an early series 3 Longchamp.

Not sure I can be much help but both CAM Gears and ZF made racks for the Longchamp.

ZF here in the UK told me that the Longchamp rack is unique to the car. No true. Maserati fitted this rack to the Quattroporte 111.

My car has a ZF P.S. rack and I'm looking to convert my car to right hand drive and am having problems tracking down a replacement.

I am considering looking at the possibilities of using a BMW rack but have yet to take measurements.

Good luck.

Phil
79 Longchamp GTs 3061
Thank you for your replies.

I contacted Roland, and he has a connection for a rebuild, but it takes the car off the road for six months at least.
While doing research, I have run in to a problem I can´t yet explain. All my sources tell me that the early rack is made by Cam Gears U.K. and it was used in the Jaguar 420. When I read up on a Jaguar 420, they say that it used a Marles Varamatic power steering rack. I´m confused. Jaguar guys keep upgrading their 420´s, Mark II´s and S-types, with an upgrade kit that converts their cars to (I think) XJ-s rack and pinion set up. If the early Longchamp rack is the same to any Jaguar one, I´m pretty sure that the Jaguar rack conversion kits will work on a Longchamp too.
Finlandese,

Now, I may be able to help you with this one as my Longchamp is currently with a local Jag dealer who build repair, build and race XJS's.

I will ask them this week and see what they have to say.

I am looking to convert my car to RHD and have pretty much given up finding a RHD PS rack.
I've in contact with http://www.titan.uk.net/index.php
who tell me one of their EPAS systems could be custom machined to fit. I'm waiting with baited breath for a price.
I have driven most Jags up to 1998 and their steering feels AWOL to me. I hate them.

Phil
79 Longchamp GTS 3061
Hi Phil,

Since you have a 3000-series car, your solution might not work on a 2000-series. I´m sure though, that those guys at Titan can make anything. It´s just a question if it´ll cost everything..

I´ve never liked Jag steering feel either, but I suppose it´s just a matter of reducing the amount of assistance, which shouldn´t be too difficult.

I just found out from an old car magazine a clue about the rack. It might be the same as in an early Jensen Interceptor, and FF.
Link copied to your clipboard.