Skip to main content

I am not sure what to think ...

As previously reported, I had some issues with firing up and a rough idle. A complete re-tune of my carb and timing provided instant results: my car fired up great, idled great and accelerated better than ever. Well, today I went to take her for a drive and the following happened ...

- I climbed in.
- I gave the pedal a push to the floor and heard the choke engage.
- I turned her over and she fired up - a little groggy, but not bad.
- I gave the gas a few squirts and the idle set in nicely.
- I backed down the driveway and let her idle for a few minutes ... and then I took off (slowly).

I got about half a block and felt the power drop bigtime. Just as she stalled she let out a huge backfire! My cat has NEVER backfired before - so I'm not sure if that has something to do with the problem or not. That said, the car won't start since this happened ...

HELP!
Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

Yep ... it was the pin. Thanks to Jake and Mike for being so quick to respond - and to Doug for popping over!

Given that this seems to be a common "weak link" (I have a Motorcraft distributor converted to work with my MSD ignition system), I am now thinking it's time to upgrade.

Does anyone have any suggestions? I just sussed the summitracing.com site and see that several options are available. I need a new distributor with vacuum advance, adaptable to my MSD and has no clearance problems.

Thanks in advance ...
When my dist pin sheared it lodged back on the shaft a cylinder or two down. I was able to get home with some severe dist twisting.

Take the #1 spark plug out (the one closest to the passenger seat) and stick a small screwdriver into the plug hole. Slowly bring the #1 cylinder up to top dead center, you'll know it's there when the piston contacts the screwdriver and the screwdriver stops moving. Note where the #1 pug wire resides on the dist cap (mark it on the dist body, if you like). Take the cap off and see where the rotor is pointing. It should either be at, or in very close proximity to where the #1 terminal on the cap is, or it should be pointing to the direct opposite of that (180 degrees out). If it's pointing at any other cylinder, your dist is out of whack (sheared pin).

There was recently (several weeks ago) a topic on what to do to fix this. If this is your problem, check out that thread.

Michael
Erik,

Congratulations on your first "Pantera Episode". You survived with flying colours and shall now be awarded an official Pantera Ownership Survival Certificate. Wink

Glad it was nothing major and you were able to solve it so fast. Great to have all these experts here at times like this, eh?
Typically, it is because the oil pump has sucked up some debris which
made it's way past the pick up screen, momentarily locking up the
pump gears. Usually, it's the umbrella seals that have disintegrated.
Might be a good idea to drop the pan and clean it out. BTW, the 351M/400
(later 351C's too I think) has a better pick up screen that won't let as
much stuff past:

http://www.bacomatic.org/gallery2/v/hidden/dan/dan-cars...g2_imageViewsIndex=1

Dan Jones
quote:
Originally posted by JD:
My roll pins would not hold even double pinning them. I went to 3/16" hardened bolt and locking nut. Never a problem again. JD --the real question is why is this required?

JD, any chance you took a photo of this setup? Like you, I'm hoping to fix this once and for all - and a solid pin seems like a better solution.
Well, thanks to many of you guys, I am back in the land of the living ...

I used the pin that Sick Cat illustrates above. All in all, it took me about 30 mins to pull the distributor, 3 hours to find a pin (!), 3 mins to insert the new pin and about 2 hours to set the timing. If this ever happens again, I could probably pull off the entire job in less than 2 hours ...

Thanks, guys. She's running great (knock on wood!) ...
> THANKS,DAN we must have the only PANTERA's in MISSOURI. JD

JD, I've got a list of Pantera and Mangusta owners in the area and there are at least 10 or more that I know of. Send me your email address and I'll add you to the list. My local Ford club is having their annual show coming up Sunday July 27 in McDonnell Park (on the grass, under the trees) near St. Louis. We had 5 Panteras last year. Also Mike Grillot is holding a Pantera get together August 16th in Springfield, MO. Let me know if you're interested in attending either.

Dan Jones
We support local Panteras even if they aren't from around here!
Just bringing this old thread up to the surface to say thanks to you all for all the info in these and the other threads on the Cleveland sudden death syndrome, as well as the 'how to set the timing' threads of Georges, and the Duraspark threads.

I have just gone through the same experience as in this thread - motor coughs twice at 3000 rpm and stops, rotor doesn't rotate properly when motor is driven by starter, pull distributor and the pin in distributor drive is broken... All this happened after approx 2 months of Pantera ownership and with no previous experience of American V8s - gee was I worried when the motor went out! After the Pantera's first trip on the back of a truck back home, I have searched these forums like a man possessed and from the info found here have now managed to diagnose the problem, pull the distributor and replace the drive pin and assemble it all, and get it to start on the first twist of the key - thanks to all for your great info burn rubber

I have followed George's method of setting the timing - set it all up at approx where you think TDC is then twist the distributor clockwise until the idle is at the fastest - however in my case the engine hesitates quite a bit and bucks a bit when accelerating under these conditions, clearly not happy, so I have needed to back off somewhat, resulting in a markedly slower idle which lopes (it did this before the drive pin broke so I guess this is pretty much how the timing was before). Perhaps the slow and loping idle is a sign of other issues, and maybe the carbie (Holley) needs a good sorting. I have no idea what is in my engine - there was very little info from the previous owner(s) but I believe it has a '3/4 race cam' - but that could mean anything (no idea from which manufacturer), and I have no idea of any other mods except what I can see: Aftermarket air cleaner, the Holley carbie, an Eddelbrock intake manifold, big bore headers and Duraspark ignition.
Cheers, Tim.
Link copied to your clipboard.