Skip to main content

One of the vendors sells roof patch panels for cars with sunroofs.
Except for Gary Halls "Big Red", I have never seen a Pantera with one.
I am not ignoring Roland Jackles "targa". That hardly qualifies as a sunroof.
I remember the Mangusta show car. It had a glass roof. I thought that was a great concept.
I tend to agree with Roland about the car being so nice as an open car.
I can also immagine what it could be like with mirrored glass roof panels like the Corvette.
I gotta be honest, at one time (I don't know about now) I would consider a glass power sliding "moonroof" like "Big Red's" if I didn't have to fabricate it from a Porsche 928 like Hall's is and I could buy it as a "kit".
Last edited {1}
Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

Back in 1980 I moved to Southern Cal to further my "graduate studies" and Malibu was on that list. I saw what was for me my first Mangusta so I wheeled the Old "Judge" around (I had a '69 GTO Judge then) and followed that car home. The owner was gracious to this babbling college kid and answered my many questions. He did tell me that his sunroof was not stock. I later learned that guy was Dino Martin who was tragically killed in a militray flying accident. (It was a flying accident, I beleive he was in the Air Guard). Anyway I think the car later burned in a fire. I am sure some will remember more of the facts and maybe who/where that sunroof was done.
I believe that having a sunroof on the Pantera DOES devalue it! When I purchased this Machine the seller knocked off $2000. I would never have had 'it' installed, myself; But, a Man named Kiell Quvale, did (whoever he was. LOL). Then, I became 'use' to it. The new views, both Out of and Into the Pantera are very unique, in the least. Especially looking, from outside the car, down into the cockpit, through the rear window and viewing the engine. It's just different, like seeing the interior through a 'Glass Case'. This SunRoof is mirrored, can be opened a couple of inches for much needed ventilation and is removable to produce (if you'll allow me) a 'Semi-Targa' roof. To correct the popular belief that a sunroof will add headroom; this is NOT the case as the interior 'trim ring' protrudes down from the headliner 1.0". I like having it a lot and would not want to do without it. Any questions!? Just plant them here and they'll be answered.

Attachments

Images (1)
  • Flat_Black_Hood_002
quote:
Originally posted by MARLIN JACK:
...One More...

Marlin, I don't think it looks bad. Whoever did yours didn't lowball it. That one I think is an "American Sunfoof" unit.

Don't worry. I'm not about to run out and do one.
I'm just wondering what it is that seemingly eberyone objects to?

Is this the kind that Dino Martin had in the Mangusta? I never heard about him being a Detomaso owner.

I'd like to see the view from the interior too.
...The name is Quvale! He was going to import the mongusta into San Francisco. This Pantera was part of his collection, stored in a warehouse in SanFrancisco before it was auctioned off at Monterey to 'Fantasy Junction' in Emeryville, Ca. A Exoticar dealer. I purchased the car from them in Aug. 2001. In my Opinion adding a aftermarket SunRoof to your Pantera DeValues it (as far as a Purist or Collector is concerned), because you HACKED UP THE ROOF!!! There is a LOT of 'TALK' on this BB, but very few are awake and paying attention. For those who requested them; photos from inside the Pantera looking through the SunRoof, are on the way. And I would like to know why I was changed from 'Sustaining Pro' to 'Active Enthusiast'!!? I consider it a demotion...
quote:
There is a LOT of 'TALK' on this BB, but very few are awake and paying attention

Marlin,

Paying attention would show that your change to 'Active Enthusiast' was an automatic - upgrade - due to your number of posts. However, with 994 posts you should be at the 'major contributor' level. In any case, we're glad to have you here.

But I suppose you can consider it a demotion if you wish. Confused

Larry

Attachments

Images (1)
  • Picture_2
I kinda feel like MJ. I like it but wouldn't add the unit to a car.
The criteria to add it would have to be that the addition of the moonroof would have to be so earthshattering of an improvement that 90% of the owners would hurry out and add one because it was so fantastic.
I don't think that it matches that kind of criteria.
Best leave the car alone and just be in awe at Marlin Jacks car.
...NO body flex, NO squeaks or groans. This Cat is pretty solid, I was lucky! NO 'Air Noise', at all, when closed; and very little Noise when opened the 2 inches. Can,t tell you if it leaks or not because it has never been in the rain or 'Hose Washed'. It IS REmovable, making a 'Semi-Targa' roof. More close-up pictures of the Map Light and switch, are on the way. I will put them on a NEW thread. I Thank ALL for the kind support!!...
PanteraDoug,

My first Pantera was a '74 L that I had for a year or so before I decided to put a sunroof in it. I got the biggest smoked glass roof I could find and installed it myself. It took several hours to do and only required cutting of the sheet metal roof (no structure was cut into).

It took up the entire headliner area and what a difference it made! When I took the roof out, it was a whole different driving experience! It stored in a vinyl pouch in the trunk. It never leaked, creaked, or groaned. I thought it looked cool too when it was popped up about 2". Another added benefit was that I could see the other drivers, and knew if they saw me or not. Being in a low car, this made me better able to anticipate their movements.

If you've got the stones to cut your roof out, I would not hesitate to recommend it. I saved the cutout and gave it to the guy who bought that car in case he wanted to remove the sunroof permanently. It did not decrease the value of my Pantera, in fact, the new owner liked it alot.

I now own an '86 targa 5-S and would never go back to a solid roofed Pantera (or other sports car) again!

Michael
quote:
Originally posted by fordgt:
here are some links for an electric one that slides up as it opens. If I had the balls to cut my beast

http://www.sunroofdoctor.com/

http://www.donmar.com/sunroofs/espoil2.htm

http://www.inalfasunroofs.com/

Gary #06984

What do mean balls? You just need a jigsaw. You can use mine.

My Contour SVT and Taurus SHO both have "moonroofs"
My hair always looks like Krammers from having the thing open.

The electric spoiler version would work great on a Pantera. I can't find my jigsaw. Did you borrow it?

Thanks for the links.
Link copied to your clipboard.