Skip to main content

Anyone have one of these still on their car?

Anyone know the size?

I have located a source for 'close' reproductions and am seeking more info so he can create something like the original.

I'm just thinking of one, coded for my titanium metallic, for an interesting attention getter - not as an exact OEM duplicate.

Anyone else out there have any interest?

Larry

Attachments

Images (1)
  • DSC00134
Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

Larry,

The sticker measures 61mm wide x 39mm high.

Will your guy be making these in the original black and silver?

My original sticker (below) has a small radius on the outside corners. Also note that the color number code is preceded by the first letter of the color name and a period (dot). The last "E" in the color name was originally there, but disappeared a few decades ago.

It also appears that most of the lettering is in bold type.

John

Attachments

Images (1)
  • P1010003a
Based on what I've provided to him, the seller has provided this version. I think it is a pretty close copy - not perfect, but that just isn't going to happen. Especially for his pricing of $8 each.

This is how he describes his stickers:

...I take silver mirror vinyl and layer that with printed clear and then over again with another type clear. They look quite authentic and more durable than the originals....but these decals originally were really some sort of thin adhesive back foil with printed clear overlaid....

I'll check on him with size; he omitted to mention that in his last email to me.

Larry

Attachments

Images (1)
  • PanteraPPG
Last edited by lf-tp2511
quote:
Is he going to make these in two versions?
Your first pic shows two lines of text in the lower black box, and the second pic shows three lines of text.

John, I have three photos of our stickers.

Yours is the only one that is using two lines.

However, the orange chassis and body catalog picture is the same as yours.

Yours is a very close match to one he already has for Alfas - just a font difference on "Italer"

He offers to create/alter his stickers for no extra charge.
I'll toss him a copy of the photo you posted and see what he can do.

And yes, I do believe they are a close black/silver match.

I'll probably buy my own first so I can fully respond to everyone's concerns. But since no vendor, to my knowledge, even offers a paint code sticker, and these are only $8, a close match will be more than good enough to 'fool' anyone who views them.

Larry
Thanks Larry.

I'll wait for the posting of your new sticker.

quote:
Yours is the only one that is using two lines.

However, the orange chassis and body catalog picture is the same as yours.

The scan that I posted was from the orange parts book.

If your '72 car had the three line sticker, then maybe only the '71 cars had the two line sticker. Maybe they used the "Alfa" stickers until they ran out and then switched to the three line stickers??

John
I missed this thread 'til now. Great stuff!

My 74 had no sticker when I got it (or ever that I could tell) and it had never been painted. It even still had a "USA" sticker on ono of the parking lamps when I got it.

If these were on 74s, I'll definitely take one. Does anyone know for sure?

John, what year is your "Verde 381"? I presume you're having it painted now? Mine was quite difficult to match, but finally got it.
Last edited by ahudson
I have received a sample from the seller.

It looks quite nice for a simple, at-home-produced, not-exact to OEM paint sticker.

I mean, since basically no one has ever seen these, who is going to know they aren't an exact, fully correct reproduction?

Size is 60mm x 39mm; basically what John said his measured - 61x39

It is square cut, not rounded corners, but if you own a pair of scissors....

Silver is very reflective, black is very bright. Text font is crisp and sharp.

Seller has suggested we will do one mass order through me, with direct shipping to each of you.

That way those of you not dialed-in with Paypal or at-ease with online eBay buying can just go through me and I'll make one payment for all of us. Your personal check will be fine for me.

Cost is going to be his normal of $8.00, including shipping.

SEE NEXT POST FOR PAINT CODES

Larry

Attachments

Images (1)
  • MY_REPRO_200KB
Last edited by George P
Two styles were apparently used for the codes on the OEM stickers.

Some used the V.108 style, others used a DT 108 style.

And two styles of stickers - three line and two line.

The codes in this photo are from the orange chassis/body catalog.

He can provide these in the three line version like mine, or a two line to match the one John posted. At this point, I'm not sure which is model-year correct, or if any are. It may have been like many of De Tomaso's methods - use whatever is handy.

As you may note, I made my own code, since Titanium Metallic was not offered from Modena. Wink

He can print whatever you want in the bottom section. I Googled Italian for titanium metallic, used the DT style, and used my VIN as the code.

Please go to the following album at the POCA website for full details and ordering instructions:

http://www.poca.com/index.php/gallery/?g2_itemId=4899

Larry

Attachments

Images (1)
  • PAINT_CODES
Last edited by George P
quote:
Originally posted by jb1490:
quote:
what year is your "Verde 381"? I presume you're having it painted now? Mine was quite difficult to match, but finally got it.

A Hudson,

It's "Verde 307" and the car is a 71. It's the only year that that color was available. It's in the paint shop now, and they are supposed to call me for an approval.

John

I haven't the vaguest idea why I put "381", but it was apparently a trick question. So yours is lime; awesome period color.

When I got mine repainted last summer, PPG showed it as "Dark Green" not "Medium" as are the choices here for "V 305".

VyprGT2, 'yes' my car DOES have room, but it's just before the black rad fan housing, on the body color, in line with the hood hinges. It's a small decal.

If I get a choice of fonts for the color, I'll take it in "Courier New" or "Typewriter" since those are what the original was.

Thus my order is for TWO (2) stickers, Verde V.305 with the color name in the fonts above, and I choose 3 lines. I can do PayPal instantly, or however is most convenient. Thanks SO much, Larry!
Link copied to your clipboard.