Skip to main content

Have been trying to find the Castrol Hypoy C in the bottle that says "Limited Slip Performance" on the front in the upper left hand corner. Has anyone purchased this lately?

I went to O'reilly Auto and they had this http://www.castrol.com/castrol...28&contentId=7036192 .

It does not say limited slip on the front of the bottle. The spec sheet on the web site and the back of the bottle says this:

• Hypoy C 80W-90: exceeds API MT-1 lubricants for non-synchronized manual transmissions used in buses and heavy duty
trucks as well as API Service GL-5 lubricant for extreme pressure conditions. Recommended for service fill of all limited slip differentials in passenger cars and light trucks calling for SAE 80W-90 and API Service GL-5 specifications. Recommended for applications calling for Ford ESP-M2C154-A and GM 9985290 and is Mack GO-H approved.

Could they have perhaps changed the bottle and excluded "limited slip" from the front or is this just the wrong stuff?

Thanks.

-Andy
Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

When I talked to Lloyd Butfoy he recommended any 80W-90 gear oil would satisfy the requirements.

Interestingly, the service bulletins mention that API GL-4 is specifically recommended, although you have to find this on the bottom shelf at the hardware or grocery store automotive aisle. Most automotive outlets carry only API GL-5.

The ZF does not require hypoid rated oils because it has spiral bevel gears, not hypoid, which have a higher sliding friction component of their geometry than spiral.
HI, ALL. F.Y.I. G.M. [Goodwrench] sells 4 oz.
bottles of -Goodwrench limited slip differential lubricant additive.
PN# 1052358 This is an older bottle that i have so this # may not be good anymore..
I don't see why it couldn't be used in the Z.F.
Anyone have any experience with it?
I added it to my Z.F. when i changed my gear oil
[bi-annually]
Link copied to your clipboard.