Skip to main content

All,

I have received some private comments concerning my current “Member Title” on my posts. I am well aware of the meaning of “distress” symbolized by the upside down flying of the flag.

My intention was and still is not to offend anyone on this forum. This is especially true of our current and former armed forces service men and women. I hold these individuals as the pinnacle of patriotism and self sacrifice for the protection of all of our liberties and freedoms.

My avatar is a direct response to a certain individual who continues to use this forum as a means to demonstrate his political ideologies. I do not come to this forum to have someone disrespect our president and our country. There are many forums that cater to political commentary, the PI Forum is not for these types of statements.

This forum is supposed to be about our shared enjoyment of all things DeTomaso. It is a fantastic resource for me. And I have had the pleasure to get to know many of you through this forum.

However, as long as others continue to use the PI Forum as a personal expression of their political agendas, I will follow their example.

Jeff
Last edited {1}
Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

Unfortunately, the avatar you have chosen strikes a note of discord with I would assume quite a few people. Myself included,I have not had the honor of serving, but I do pledge allegiance to flag and find it rather disturbing that anyone would chose to display it that way. In my opinion things are "upside down" enough in today's world, why would you chose to desecrate the flag? Surely you could find another way to make a statement.
You are right, this is a DeTomaso board and we should keep it on topic, but someone has to give...this will only drag more people into the fray. I have never been one to get into politics on the board and still chose not to, but chose to take up bandwidth to address how this could be perceived as highly disrespectful. Thank you for your time.
Flying the flag is not a sign of disrespect. It is a signal of "dire distress "

Below is the officail U.S. Code:

THE FLAG CODE
Title 36, U.S.C., Chapter 10
As amended by P.L. 344, 94th Congress
Approved July 7, 1976

§ 176. Respect for flag: No disrespect should be shown to the flag of the United States of
America; the flag should not be dipped to any person or thing. Regimental colors, State flags, and organization or institutional flags are to be dipped as a mark of honor.
(a) The flag should never be displayed with the union down, except as a signal of dire distress in instances of extreme danger to life or property.
I didn't give your avatar any more thought than the people who get overly political on this (or any other) car forum. I figure forums are a public place, and I can ignore people just as easily here as I can in the public square.

I don't mind what you are doing, but it should be said that it adds to the noise. By "noise" I mean the amount of non car related content on this site.

So, keep doing what you are doing...or don't. :-)

R.
Out of my respect for George I have changed my avatar.

I realize that I am stirring up a lot of emotions on this issue. And I may be overly sensitive, but I find this individual's sigs and avatars offensive. They are not humorous and are in poor taste. I have ignored his political statements for a long time. But I have had enough, and this is my response.
Link copied to your clipboard.