Skip to main content

This car was on Ebay and the guy that was to clean it up decided to take it for a joy ride. He quickly "ran out of talent" and spun the car. I did a little cosmetic repair with just 5 hours left on the auction, and then it was my turn. It needed some fuel so I figure I would "do the right thing" and drive to the station. The little 4 cyl Toyota motor has a Lotus valve cover on it. It has a power band that comes in around 6000 rpm and pulls hard to 8000. The car is light and you can feel that. At speed in exess of 100 mph it is a bit twitchy and light in front. Fun, cute, 30 mpg must be nice. You think getting in a Pantera is tight. You almost need a prostetic left leg to get in and out. The car handled great and feels like a go cart. I did a seat of the pants comparison using local land mark for a 0 to 100 sprint and I feel the Pantera would get there first, at least by a little. I feel much more confident in the Pantera at higher speeds than the Lotus. Priced on Ebay about equal......The Pantera wins again!

Attachments

Images (1)
  • DSC02675
Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

I was contemplating buying an Elise back when I bought the P car. I test drove one, and although it handled very well, for me, it lacked passion. The body is very cute but the cockpit is very cold and uninviting. The Pantera has so much character and passion, aside from the fact that the body is sexy as hell. Also, you can't compare the sound. I agree, the Pantera wins. Oh, trunk space, yet again...

-William
Last edited by duz185
Before buying my Pantera I just couldn't decide between the Elise and the Miata. I also had so much trouble, oh my god, deciding whether to go with the matching leather jacket or the new peep toe boots. But my boyfriend helped me decide. He's so sweet he said "...whatever you want you big bear, giggle giggle."

So I shot him, married a go go dancer, bought a serious mean 8 cyl piece of steel with just a touch of Italian cool and have lived happily ever after.

Puhleeze. What a comparison! I'd rather run out of gas in a Pantera and get mugged on the side of the road.
My Elise is my everyday driver.
I like the 30 mpg when not on the cams.
Of all my cars this is the most balanced car.
Chapman's small displacement/light weight doctrine at work.
Just have to keep it in the cams above 6500 to make up for its lack of torque.
On my roads of choice, canyons of SoCal, the Elise will spank my Pantera.
Great post Deeb ...

The Elise is a well balanced car that fits the Chapman design premise - and very fun to drive.

Personally, I feel that a sports car has to be, among many other things, a mid-engined car with at least a V-8. Just a matter of taste.

Lotus cars sold relatively well with 3rd party engines (eg. FORD and Toyota). Never understood why that never turned some peoples noses in the same way when speaking of DeTomasos (????).

BTW, my DeTomaso was my every day driver. Once its back on the road - it will be again.
Last edited by andriyko
Link copied to your clipboard.