Skip to main content

Replies sorted oldest to newest

I am working on the passenger footwell and discovered that I have a flat plate mounted to the bottom of the trunk, or the ceiling of the foot box, with two 5 or 6 mm studs hanging from it.

It looks like it was factory installed since it is covered with grey fabric which matched the original carpets.

I have no idea what the mounting plate is for. Anyone here know?
Luigi? Him again?

Probably what happened is these chassis were all built to the same specs in batches initially and things like no longer used brackets, like on mine, didn't get eliminated until the next batch of shells were made after the new location change was made.

Mine, 4460, is no doubt a '72 shell, but an L model.

It has created havoc as a result for me in the past, particularly in the wiring diagrams.

I am told by a knowledgeable source that there are three different wiring harnesses identified.

I do not have the early harness. Not sure if I have the last, or the middle one yet.

I can tell you that the big laminated wiring harness diagram that Hall sells, for me in a few places is wrong. Caused me more then a few melted wires as a result.

I hate this. Wiring is not my strong point.
Last edited by panteradoug
I wonder if your 10/73 build date isn't a typo. That s/n should be one of the rather rare 571 transition Panteras between pre-L and L, built July-Dec 1972. The affected S/Ns were 4269-4840. Our #4366 (built Sept '72) is such, and had L bumpers & outside-fill fuel with the outer panels in the engine compartment to match but an early screen-only central engine cover. The air cleaner pointed at #8 cylinder with the heat stove attached to that position on the headers rather than at #1, the fuse box is next to the passenger's ankles while the relays are near the driver's ankles, it has a 2-pod dash... the full list of 50+ changes is in the TSBs. Ours had most but not all of them.

On schematics, of the 3 known for '71-'76s (not counting the '81-up wide-bodies or the Pantera SI varients, both of which are different), I've worked on many Panteras and have yet to find one that perfectly matched ANY published schematic. What we do is buy the schematic with a published date closest to our car's build date, then we annotate it as we find changes. And I count my blessings: a friend with two Bizzarinis has one built with all-white wires... Welcome to the wonderful world of limited-production Italian sports cars!
Hi Doug,
I have 4355 sept 72 car.
Dual pod dash, rubber bumper. same layout as Boss, but had the rear facing fuel filler. think i ended up with all the poorer otions from both models.
But the air con ran down the middle of consol there are a couple of tabs to hold it all in place under the small behind the ash tray. they then went behind passengers seat and out through a hole in firewall.
My hoses run down the center console. I was just looking for how the hoses were routed around the blower.

I did a lot of rewiring and am trying to tuck the wires up and not tangle everything. The A/C hose routing is involved with that as well.

All is well at the moment. Everything is very tight to work with under there with not even millimeters to spare.

I suppose it is a mess to change the hoses no matter which direction they go. Either way, it's a bear to do.
quote:
Originally posted by Bosswrench:
I wonder if your 10/73 build date isn't a typo. That s/n should be one of the rather rare 571 transition Panteras between pre-L and L, built July-Dec 1972. The affected S/Ns were 4269-4840. Our #4366 (built Sept '72) is such, and had L bumpers & outside-fill fuel with the outer panels in the engine compartment to match but an early screen-only central engine cover. The air cleaner pointed at #8 cylinder with the heat stove attached to that position on the headers rather than at #1, the fuse box is next to the passenger's ankles while the relays are near the driver's ankles, it has a 2-pod dash... the full list of 50+ changes is in the TSBs. Ours had most but not all of them.

On schematics, of the 3 known for '71-'76s (not counting the '81-up wide-bodies or the Pantera SI varients, both of which are different), I've worked on many Panteras and have yet to find one that perfectly matched ANY published schematic. What we do is buy the schematic with a published date closest to our car's build date, then we annotate it as we find changes. And I count my blessings: a friend with two Bizzarinis has one built with all-white wires... Welcome to the wonderful world of limited-production Italian sports cars!

It's 9/72 build date as far as I know, but I'm not staring at the tag right now.

Jon Haas was contracted by Wilkinson to build replacement harnesses.

He bought used harnesses from each of the US model years and said he identified three different harnesses.

I presume I have the middle one and Halls diagram reflects the last one? I presume that's the issue I was having? Just speculation on my part though.

I can't think of any electrical issues I have left. I installed everything P-E makes and in the process corrected what was screwed up.

The console remains a PITA with wires disconnecting themselves from switches, etc.

Fuses however no longer require rubber bands to hold them tight and no longer fall out by themselves.

The P-E ignition controller solved my tach problem not working with the MSD controller.

It was odd to find the two tabs welded to the inside of the passenger footbox for mounting the 71 relay panel though. I never expected to see that there.

When I bought the car it had a Holley on an Edelbrock intake and had a new set of GTS headers and Ansa mufflers on it so I can't answer the original air cleaner orientation.

It does have the early screen engine cover on it and it had (no more) the internal gas filler and the fuel pickup is integral to the tank.

Relays are in the trap door on the drivers side inner fender, fuse panel inside the trap door on the passenger inside fender.

It has (had) the L bumpers too. Has the fiberglass L bumpers on now.

I agree with your assessment of this run of cars BW. Even so, there are small differences even withing the group.
Last edited by panteradoug
Link copied to your clipboard.