Skip to main content

So....picked up 02605 last month. The previous owner had done a full bare chassis restoration on her over the past 10yrs. She has sat for the last 5 or 6 unfinished due to understandable circumstances (ie health and business reasons). Anyway..she has a new home. She was about 95% done when I got here. I still need to find a few items (per my "parts needed post")...head light buckets etc. She seems to run very well and is very solid underneath. I spent some time scraping the nasty undercoating in some areas...and found super clean metal underneath. yahoo...

I got started working on her today. Did a four wheel alignment, and started looking into the brakes. It has AP Racing calipers and what looks like a Corvette master cyl. I've experienced significant brake drag when moving it around the garage, found two contributors..... The brake actuation rod inside the booster..which pushes the master cylinder was too long. That was an easy adjustment. However brakes still dragging. After some digging, I found that the parking brake was eliminated and this gizmo was put in its place. The concept seems clear. The handle pushes down on the top button to open the circuit. Lift the handle and the circuit closes... however, the button doesn't move, and the pressure won't release. Anyone ever used one of these? Thinking I'm going to have to pull it out tomorrow and break it down on the bench to see what's going on. Any insights would be welcome. Confused

Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

"I have heard" of line locks and was thinking that to release, brake pedel must be pressed to relaease. the link MarsRed had the following instructions (if it is the same).
http://www.rallydesign.co.uk/p...596&products_id=4079

just wonder how that would work with the handle?
----------
A simple device to hydraulically hold brakes locked
• Use with your existing brake system

To Operate
• Step on footbrake and press once to lock (release footbrake and brakes remain locked)

To Release
• Press on footbrake and the Hydra-Lock opens instantly.

Important Note:
Hydra-Lock must not be used as a handbrake or any form of parking device.
------------

Oh! very sharp looking car!
is it licenable as is? I would be driving without head lamp buckets
Hi guys,
OK, thanks for the links. I agree...it looks to be exactly that item, however with the knob removed. I think it was a creative idea...however my current assessment is that it won't work. Not sure if it's because there is an issue with this particular unit, or in concept itself. I let it sit overnight, and in the morning...there was no residual pressure on the brakes (the wheels spun free). I pressurized it again, and they locked. No stabbing of the brake or pushing/pulling on the button would release them. So, for now...I have pulled it out. The brakes now work perfect. Took her for the first drive. Very cool car...looking forward to achieving "road ready" status. It's really close. Need to do some wiring yet which is still hanging here and there. The radiator has a drip leak somewhere, so will need to pull it, but she isn't far away from hitting the road. Thanks again.

Oh...Kjeld...0402 is back in line again, and she's not happy about it Mad It took me too long too get all the metal work done and get back on it this summer due to other projects, now she is starting to surface rust. I'll need to bring her to the media blaster again before I can get crackin on her again. urghh... it's times like this that I wish I lived in Nevada....
Hi guys,
OK...so I've been banging away at 2605's task list over that past month.

- Wire harness installed, electrical gremlins chased down...all items functioning
- Bumpers installed
- Interior assembled
- Vintage Hall Pantera headlights installed

Headlights fitted...

Headlight doors needed some metal shaping to get the contours exact. Then a skim coating of filler to clean up any residual hammer marks.

Primed and sanded...

Painted the buckets, blended and clear coated the whole front clip...

Hey Kjeld,
I ended up having the paint computer color matched. It turned out no to be a regional color... it's Ford Europe "Mandarin Copper Metalic" #201502. I used Deltron 2000 DBC.
Hi guys... took care of the wet sanding and buffing of the freshly painted front clip this weekend. Gotta say...I'm really happy with how it looks. Even got to use my new water bug wet sander that I picked up last year. I think it made the process quicker. I would do my normal block wet sanding up to 1000 then use it with 1500 grit before I would go to the buffer.

Here are some before and afters.... I don't think any remarks of which is which is necessary... ;-)

quote:
Originally posted by Rob Borruso:
Hi guys,
OK, thanks for the links. I agree...it looks to be exactly that item, however with the knob removed. I think it was a creative idea...however my current assessment is that it won't work. Not sure if it's because there is an issue with this particular unit, or in concept itself. I let it sit overnight, and in the morning...there was no residual pressure on the brakes (the wheels spun free). I pressurized it again, and they locked. No stabbing of the brake or pushing/pulling on the button would release them. So, for now...I have pulled it out. The brakes now work perfect. Took her for the first drive. Very cool car...looking forward to achieving "road ready" status. It's really close. Need to do some wiring yet which is still hanging here and there. The radiator has a drip leak somewhere, so will need to pull it, but she isn't far away from hitting the road. Thanks again.

Oh...Kjeld...0402 is back in line again, and she's not happy about it Mad It took me too long too get all the metal work done and get back on it this summer due to other projects, now she is starting to surface rust. I'll need to bring her to the media blaster again before I can get crackin on her again. urghh... it's times like this that I wish I lived in Nevada....
Excellant Work!!, although you might want to rethink that "I wish I lived in Nevada" comment.

They say that living in Nevada "Isn't living in Hell, BUT...You can see it from there"...Mark

Southern Nevada
Average July temperatures
High °F Low °F Place High °C Low °C
101 79 Boulder City 38 26
109 79 Callville Bay, Lake Mead 43 26
104 81 Las Vegas 40 27
110 80 Laughlin 44 27
105 78 North Las Vegas 41 26
97 70 Red Rock Canyon State Park 36 21
105 81 Valley of Fire State Park 41 27
Beautiful car Rob! Congrats and Merry Christmas!

BTW - I noticed on the interior pics that the stereo has been completely deleted, not even a "radio-delete" plate. I've never seen that treatment to the dash before. Do you plan to add a stereo, or just enjoy the Cleveland Symphony when you drive?
Fantastic work Rob, although we've come to expect that of you now.

It looks like you re-covered the dash, console and door panels. If so, you have a talented trimmer nearby. The seams look perfect and are not easy to do on those forms. Now get back to work on 4042! Big Grin

Have a great Christmas!
Mark
Hi guys,
Thanks for all the kind remarks.

Mark, no doubt....we trade seasons. In the summer they hide..in the winter we do. However, the cars don't rust in Nevada... that's worth hiding in the summer. Big Grin

Garth, I had no plans to install the radio. If the new owner wants, he can cut the pleather out and install one. The dash behind it is not modified, only covered over.

Mark, I can't take the credit for the dash / door skin recovering. The pieces were already recovered when I got her. I agree though...they did a "very" nice job. I need to teach myself how to do that though, as the skills will be needed for 4042. It'll still be a little while before I'm back on 4042 though....I bent up my 69 Mach I at the end of the season (the last drive before parking her :-(. She's in the shop now, and I've got the front end torn off. I should be squirting paint tomorrow, then reassembly. While I'm working on her, I'm going to switch the brakes from vacuum boost to hydraulic boost. Then, I've got to get on the 73 Pantera that I picked up at the end of the summer (#06001). I'll start a thread on it when I get crankin.

Boss, I'm just north-west of Pontiac. Lemme know if you're ever in town....

Merry Christmas guys.. enjoy time with family and friends, and don't forget to spend some time with your sexy Italian girlfriends in the garage.

Best....
quote:
If the new owner wants, he can cut the pleather out and install one.

So, the car's not a keeper? How about #6001? Will that be a keeper? Or just resto projects for the love of the process? Maybe you'll fall in love with one of these Italian mistresses once you start driving them. I'd part with one of my Mustangs (66 GT and 70 Mach 1) before I'd part with my Pantera.
Hi Garth,
Actually 2605 is sold...and gone. She was a beauty...

Must admit my love for these sexy Italian mistresses is already a problem. My wife is aware..and willing to stay will me anyway, so long as I keep paying the bills. Big Grin 6001 is also a restoration project. However, I will be keeping and enjoying her once done, while working on 4042. Then 6001 will be available for her next care taker once 4042 is on the road.

I'd part with my house and kids first.... Thumbs Up!

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.