Skip to main content

Subject resistor is approximately 1 1/2" long X 1/4" square with 1" long bare wire leads on the ends. It must have fallen from the back of my dash as I found it on the floor. One of the leads was broken close to the resistor body and the other had a residual drop of solder on it.

What is this part's function and what is it soldered between?

Thanks,

usmcfred
'72 Pre-L
Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

from reading, I would say it should be accross the "charge" warning lamp.

Its purpose is that during cranking, the current to flash the alternator is through that warning lamp. IF the bulb should burn out, the resistor would still allow flashing so the alternator will start charging once engine cranks.

you need to know if your charging circuit has been modified as to whether it is still needed. the warning lamp may be rewired for newer regulators

Attachments

Images (1)
  • resistor
And if you look REAL close, the parts catalog, same as what wilkinson uses for his website, shows the proper placement, also.

While I think each owner should have a paper copy of the parts catalog, which may just indicate I am still old-school, I've bookmarked Wilkinson's website and consult it often for the ease it offers over thumbing through paper pages.

http://www.panterasbywilkinson...catalog/catalog.html

Larry

Attachments

Images (1)
  • Screen_Shot_2016-03-28_at_9.23.47_AM

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.