Skip to main content

Replies sorted oldest to newest

quote:
Originally posted by deeb:
...From what I understand the modern F1 engine has electrically actuated valves - no rockers, no cams...

BMW is working on that technology, but its not used in F1 yet. They were supposed to start using it in their road cars, but it hasn't proven reliable enough "yet". I doubt that electrically actuated valves will operate at 18000 rpm. Its a groovy technology if they can perfect it. Once the valves are electrically operated, the Engine Management System can operate the lift, duration & phasing of the valves at the ideal values for each rpm, thereby maximizing power output. AND, the speed of the motor can be controlled by camshaft lift, duration & phasing therefore eliminating the need for throttle butterflies. With the throttle butterflies out of the picture, the intake manifold no longer operates under a vacuum, but at atmospheric pressure, therefore the cylinders fill much better at lower rpm, torque production is vastly superior. Drag on the motor is reduced, efficiency is improved. More power yet!

The F1 cars use pneumatic operated valves (fed by an on-board bottle of nitrogen) in place of springs. Its the springs that are the limiting factor in the rpm of a valve train. The springs heat up and fail. And they oscillate at a certain frequency. another factor is piston speed, so F1 cars will tend to have short strokes and large bores, depending upon the displacement and number of cylinders dictated by the rules.

quote:
Originally posted by DeTom:
...George what do they put in them engines that makes them spin so high? Do they have valves in the heads that go back and forth like a regular engine? Do they have roller bearings for mains and conn rods? What keeps them from shaking apart...

On the other hand, Yamaha's YZ-F6 uses dual overhead cams, 4 valves per cylinder, titanium valves and conventional springs. Yet they manage a 16,000 rpm red line. Truly awesome.

DeTom I'm not sure what the bottom end of one of their new motors looks like, having never seen one opened up.

George
Last edited by George P
Link copied to your clipboard.