Skip to main content

I've just bought a right hand drive '71 pushbutton model, chassis #1228.

There are a number of differences between this car and most Panteras and I wondered if anyone had definitive information on these differences.

The car itself is in remarkably good order considering it's been in a barn for 23 years and I intend to keep it as original as possible, but info on these early cars seems hard to come by.

Many thanks

Derek Williams
Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

I have a friend that owns #1256 (left hand drive) and I was amazed how different the car is constructed compared to the later cars. The front valance and front cross member are completely different as well as the back support tubes where the suspension mounts. The list goes on and on. Other than the outside body the car is completely different than later cars.

Mike
Isn't there a gentleman by the name of Mike Coffel(?) that has a fully restored early (left hand drive) Pantera that he has had for sale for some time?? Don't think he has ever posted on this board though. Unfortunately, I don't know how to contact him. Maybe Mike Drew can provide a lead - Are you out there Mike??

Bob Radefeld
quote:
Originally posted by 1973UFO:
Isn't there a gentleman by the name of Mike Coffel(?) that has a fully restored early (left hand drive) Pantera that he has had for sale for some time?? Don't think he has ever posted on this board though. Unfortunately, I don't know how to contact him. Maybe Mike Drew can provide a lead - Are you out there Mike??

Bob Radefeld

You mean this car? http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=2445884463&category=6472&rd=1

This car has been for sale on and off for several years. Nice car. Don't know why it doesn't sell.
Because it was first offered at 100k or so I believe, now 62K, and if the car is as advertised, you wouldn't want to drive it very much.. The quality of refurbishment and attention to detail have arguably made it more suitable as a trailer queen. Who would want to ding it up on the road and spoil all that work? I suggest that everyone carefully read the definition of the word "restore" and "restoration".
I owned 1260 from 1990 to 2000... A Euro spec.car L/hand drive? car that spent
most of it's time in South Africa.... These early cars are a real find and (in my
opinion) should remain un changed. Remember the guys that Flared the fenders on
the 64 Corvettes and are now spending big dollars to have them but back to stock..
I have to admit that i had but a Delta wing on this car in 91/92 (what was i thinking)
but looking back it was ok because at the fast food places with no where to sit at
noon i could stand behind 1260.. Eat... and i had a really cool place for my sandwich
and drink...I remember 1116 as a really straight car that Mike had put allot of money
and time into...these and the Late cars should remain un changed.... as in life there is
a beginning and an end the Alpha and Omega (not the Olds)
Many thanks, that would be most useful.

Pardon my ignorance, but how do I post pictures?

Cheers

Derek

quote:
Originally posted by AGROVADR:
there was an article in PI about an early car that was restored, I'll look in my back issues and send you the date. Send some pictures so we could have a look
Thanks for the info. It certainly is different.

I'll finally be picking it up on 10th January, so doubtless that's when the questions will really start being asked.Especially by my wife as she doesn't know I've bought it yet!

Not even sure where I'm going to put it yet as the garage is already filled with an 84 GT5, '88 Longchamp GTSE and an '81 Series 2 Deauville.

At a guess, when the good lady is finally told, I'll also need to make room in the garage for my bed!

Cheers

Derek

quote:
Originally posted by www.PanteraPlace.com:
I have a friend that owns #1256 (left hand drive) and I was amazed how different the car is constructed compared to the later cars. The front valance and front cross member are completely different as well as the back support tubes where the suspension mounts. The list goes on and on. Other than the outside body the car is completely different than later cars.

Mike

Thanks for the info.

Mike and I often communicate, so I'll get an e-mail off to him assuming he's not in the air somewhere.

Derek

quote:
Originally posted by 1973UFO:

Bob Radefeld

Couldn't agree more.

The idea with this car is to keep it as bone stock original as possible.

The only modification I currently plan is to the fueling - I don't like the idea of petrol that close to hot manifolds, but I intend merely to hinge the gill so it retains stock appearance.

I'm sure that a few bits will get upgrades purely for safety, but this isn't going to be "trailer queened" - I have an '84 GT5 that's currently getting that treatment, so my wallet is way too anorexic to contemplate this anyway.
-
Cheers

Derek
I have PB 1223. I would like to exchange in the future to find out how much mine has been changed. Mine had its life in france until it was imported into the US in the early 80's. I am currently in iraq but would like to converse later about the simularitys of the cars.
Link copied to your clipboard.