Skip to main content

Replies sorted oldest to newest

I have #9178, which is an original 1981 GT5. What it's worth depends on how much money you have to spend. When I brought mine over from Europe in March of 2001, it was tired and sick. Been riden hard and put away wet many times. I am in the process of rebuilding it. After 10 months I am finally driving mine. But nowhere near done. Rebuilding the gearbox the end of this month. That's another 3 grand, maybe more. Already spent 20 grand over and above buying it and shipping to the US and have about 10 to 15 more before I'm satisfied with the outcome. All and all, I will have 60 to 65 in mine and it will be my everyday driver. Another thing you better consider is the wheels and tires on the car. If they are the original 15 inchers, GT5, 10x15 & 13x15, your not going to be able to get front tires anymore. Which means upgrading to 16 or 17's. Get ready because that's going to cost you another 4 grand. Which I still need to do as well.
Is it worth it, well, I guess that depends on what you want to drive everyday, how much money you have (had if you get into it) and how tolerant your wife is. Sometimes I say no, (specially when I have to write the checks) but most of the time I say Hell Yes.
Whatever your planning on spending to buy the car, plan on at least 3 times as much as your starting budget in rebuilding it for parts and any labor, and at least 6 months longer than you plan for in the time your rebuilding it.

Parts are not cheap, nor is labor. As you will see. Find a local Pantera Club to you, go to a meeting and ask lots of questions. Then decide.

If you haven't done this before, I suggest you buy a new Vette. There may be many of them around , but at least there's some reality and some sanity in parts and labor costs. Not to mention a warranty. There's are a lot of cars that can be had for the 60+ you'll be into you car.

Good luck.

quote:
Originally posted by george kazakian:
Can anyone tell me what a 1981 Pantera with modest upkeep is worth??
also if anyone has info on the red pantera #7220., In ft. lauderdale, Fla,
email me any info that might be of use at georgekazakian@msn.com Thanks.

[This message has been edited by Coz (edited 01-10-2002).]
That's even a better idea. Wish I would have done just that.

quote:
Originally posted by ORNG UFO:
Or just buy a built show car for a bargain that someone else put over $100k into, and just spend some lunch money along the way doing maintenance such replacing trans oil, break fluid, etc
quote:
Originally posted by Coz:
That's even a better idea. Wish I would have done just that.

Yes Coz, that may be true, but isn't it really fun making your car the way you want it too, despite all the work & waiting for parts, etc? I hope the person looking for the 1981 Pantera gets it, instead of some common slow movin Vet, complete with gold chain, balded head and open shirt with hairy chest. I mean, what other type of car can you actually sit in your engine bay and work on your car, while your neighbors walk by looking at you strange.
Link copied to your clipboard.