Skip to main content

Hi Bob

I don't have a bumper height spec for you. Unless your Pantera is equipped with aftermarket shocks & springs the ride height is not adjustable anyway. The goal is to have a level chassis. That means putting a 24" contractor's level on the door sills, and having the bubble between the lines (level). Or the measurement between the frame rail below the door and the ground is the same when measured behind the front tires or ahead of the rear tires. If the car is equipped with factory springs, the chassis shall be fairly level if the difference in tire diameter between front & rear is 1.7" to 2.3" (nominal 2").

The 215/60r15 front tires are roughly 25.2 diameter. You didn't mention the size of the new rear tires. I'd guess they are 295/50r15 (26.6 diameter). If that's true, that's 1.4" difference in diameter, i.e. about 0.2" outside the "ideal" range. That's not much. What I notice from the side view picture in your previous post is the tires appear to be fairly centered within the wheel arches, and the gap between the tires and fender arches appears to be fairly much the same front to rear. Although the chassis was designed around a bit more difference, the chassis should be fairly close to level from the looks of things. What does the bubble level look like? I think it looks pretty good, pretty much like the Pantera did in 1971, except the tires are significantly wider. But I've only got the one picture to go by.

In the picture before that one, the difference in tire diameters was 4.1", twice what it should be (275/60r15 = 28" diameter. 225/50r15 = 23.9" diameter). If the current set-up doesn't look right, is it possible you had become accustomed to the more pronounced "nose down attitude"?
Hi George

The 275/60's on 8" spare wheels in the previous picture were on the car temporarily in place of the 10" with 295/50 because one of the 295's blistered earlier but the original tires were 225/50 front and 295/50 rear as shown in the picture attached.

I had seen a post or article referring to original bumper height is the reason I asked but true level and measuring rocker panel height is best I agree.

The previous owner had the adjustable shocks down to lower the car with a lot of negative camber in the rear which I adjusted to current height. Rough measurements on my uneven floor indicate the bottom of rear rocker panel is approx. 5/8" higher than at front of rocker. I'll find a level surface and adjust to suit.

Thanks,

Bob

Attachments

Images (1)
  • original
Hi Robbie

They were on the car when I purchased it and apparently were installed in it's early years. I saw or read somewhere they were installed in lieu of the square chrome by some dealers/owners. My first Pantera had the chrome ones.

Apparently they were used on some Mercury Cougars and I'm not sure but seems I saw them on Summit Racing site like the square chrome ones.

Attachments

Images (1)
  • cougar

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.