Skip to main content

Replies sorted oldest to newest

Anson,

this is where a telephone call to Mark McKeown will pay a multitude of dividends. He can provide both the stroker kit and a cam ground for your application (plus all the associated hardware for the cam installation) that will work as desired from the get go. All the pitfalls of stroker kit installation will be avoided.

Very strong emphasis here, highly recommended. You'll be in good hands, or I wouldn't make the recommendation.

The list of Pantera owners who have thanked me for this recommmendation continues to grow.

George
Last edited by George P
Here's the latest Mad Dog sent me on his engine:

Russ Fulps Race Engine & BL Machine Works (714)870-8577

Engine Specs, Mid 2006:
351C (Cleveland)
- Zero balanced & blueprinted for race
- Stroked to 381 cubic inches (4.020" bore x 3.750" stroke)
- 4-bolt main bearing caps, align bored
- RPM 4340 Steel crank & H-beam connecting rods
- Ross pistons & Mahle rings
- Clevite Bearings
- 302B Cylinder Heads
- Comp Cams hydraulic roller cam #32-651-8
- 245 Duration @.050", .612 Lift
- Roller Rockers
- Isky 5/16" Pushrods
- Manley Severe Duty Valves
- Heads CC'd for 11:1 compression accuracy
- 500+ Estimated HorsePower @ the flywheel
I have an early car and it has 4V quenched heads. The manual I have I think is from 1973 and states the compression ratio is 8.0:1. It states the cumbustion chamber is 76.9 to 79.9. I think on my car the cumbustion chamber is less than 76.9 and the compression ratio is over 10. I am curious because I am wondering if the cam in the manual is the cam that came in my car or was a diffrent cam installed in my car because of the queched heads?.
If your heads are D0AE (1970) castings, they have nominal 63 cc combustion chambers, and your motor has 10.0:1 compression ratio.

If your heads are D1AE (1971) castings, they have nominal 66 cc combustion chambers, and your motor has 9.7:1 compression ratio.

If you have the stock cam, it is a very mild one, less lift and duration than the cam used on the 1972 through 1974 motors (the Cobra Jets). Your engine is referred to as an "M" code engine. The 1972 - 1974 engine is known as a "Q" code engine.

The change in camshafts was made to increase the performance of the motor, not because of the lowering of the compression ratio. In 1972 the 351C 4V became the premium performance motor for the Ford line-up, so they spruced up the perfomance of the motor, making it closer in performance to the 1971 Boss 351. Besides a hotter cam, the 1972 motor also received a dual point distributor and larger carburetor. Those 3 changes combined to give the 351C Cobra Jet version much more high rpm potential compared to the earlier 1970 - 1971 351C 4V "M code" motor. The Q code motor also received a larger harmonic balancer and 4 bolt main bearing caps.

An interesting thing about the Ford engine manuals of that era, they are 1 year behind. Your 1973 manual covers the motors that were installed in 1972 cars.

cowboy from hell
Link copied to your clipboard.