Skip to main content

Replies sorted oldest to newest

I'm not an expert on this subject, but I'll share what I know.

The cylinder heads have to be notched to clear the wheel houses, no big deal really. You need new exhaust headers, readily available. You'll need to replumb the coolant in/out tubing.

I've heard the motor mounts are a breeze, and the tranny bolts right up. I'll bet the pilot bearing & clutch will be special items, but I'll bet the vendor that supplies the headers will have the pilot bearing & clutch too.

The last consideration is the engine managment system, i.e. fuel & ignition. There is a manifold available giving you the option of a 4 barrel carburetor. I've seen a lot of swaps that went with individual runner FI, and I've seen some with Ford's oem style mass air flow fuel injection (my recommendation). I've read recently that Ford's EEC-V electronics are becoming a pretty standard swap now, just as the EEC-IV had been for years.

The engines are a bit tall and will probably require you to modify the engine screen, the extent will depend upon which type of induction you choose. One GREAT feature is the motor does not protrude into the passenger compartment. You can eliminate the hump between driver & passenger. A flat fire wall in other words.

This swap is making more and more sense, as pricing for the mod motors drops, and power levels (naturally aspirated) increase. Sean Hyland has a 6 liter crate motor making 600 BHP naturally aspirated. Its not a cheap crate motor, but a 600 BHP DOHC 32 valve naturally aspirated motor is certainly worth anybody's consideration.

George
quote:
Sean Hyland has a 6 liter crate motor making 600 BHP naturally aspirated. Its not a cheap crate motor, but a 600 BHP DOHC 32 valve naturally aspirated motor is certainly worth anybody's consideration.

George

AND, he's local (possibly even loco...), so for Wayne, might make even more sense than normal.
Link copied to your clipboard.