Skip to main content

Replies sorted oldest to newest

When we were in France at the Classic Lemans races last year, I spoke with some folks there that said you need to look on the Euro eBay site for Carello bulb assys..... They are not real common, but much more common there than here!

I picked up a spotless NOS set of high beams, but have passed on quite a few sets that were almost....but not quite there. Also used on 4 lamp Alfas of the day too!

I'll need to dig up the part numbers for you to chase. The crazy part is the buckets! These are unique pieces too....and I have not found them anywhere at all. They are not a 4 lamp Fiat piece....! Hopefully you still have the original buckets.... I'm guessing that these and the bulbs were made for the LH drive car markets in Europe and the US.

Steve
Bob,

Some info for you to help you with your search! These are what is on my car now. Not sure if this is what the car came with, but I "think" that they are a good chance of being the proper units!

Outer bulbs: #03.240.700 CARELLO vertical at bottom center.
Inner bulbs: #03.245.700 CARELLO horizontal at top center.

Both are JOD bulbs. JOD at angle somewhere on bulb. These numbers can be hard to read, but they are on the front of the glass.

Happy hunting!!!
Steve

Thanks for the numbers Steve, I'd like to find some too!
As currently fitted, part nos. for the Carello buckets on 1010 are 07.320.007,  07.321.007, 07.322.007, 07.323.007.  The .320. and .322. units appear to belong on the passenger/right side, the 'odd number' pair belongs on the driver/left side.  I'm not sure that's an OEM setup but it may be correct. The stamped numbers came clear once I disassembled the buckets and cleaned a layer of grime off.   

I was looking at some Alfa Montreal buckets on Ebay recently and was amazed how different they were in detail to these parts. At a distance they looked the same. FWIW I'd be reluctant to buy 'stock' buckets without being certain about the part number!

Last edited by nate
Nate,

I found that my car had not only two different buckets...but 4! May have had something to do with a crash back when the car was very very young....or not...! No way to tell for certain, but there was definitely one matched "set" (hi/low) on one side, and another different pair on the other.... If I ever find the scratch paper I wrote all the numbers down on, I will post it.....however...may have discarded after I put the car together after my radiator project!

I searched on all four different numbers and found nothing......so if you have buckets...run 'em until you find better! These appear to be of the sort that may simply bolt to a flat panel of sorts.....but remain a mystery to me!

Cheers!
Steve
quote:
Originally posted by vyprgt2:
I have seen several cars with Marchal headlights
Did some cars come with four Marchals, or were they all Carello headlights?

I have only seen the Carello "jod" headlamps. The tricky part about buying them from ebay is you are competing with Ferrari restorers to purchase the lamps.

I will post pics when I get them from my other computer in a few days.

fyi, bought a few early magazines with Mangusta reviews. Headlights are clear in a couple pics from one of the first ~25 cars with first gen turn signals (so before ~8ma550), the same yellow car is in the May 1969 German Sport Auto, April 1969 French Sport Auto, and July 1969 German Auto Motor und Sport--but the French copy shows clearly the Carello JODs.

On at least this Euro car...I have no idea if/when US regs forbid the H1s.

Also interesting, yes there was a Ghia radio delete cover (!) As Jack saw on 8ma542 and is also on 8ma546. I guess at sometime, it seems DeT just found it easier to not cut out the leather (!)

The Auto Motor und Sport article quotes that DeT hit production of 33 Mangustas in June...--Lee

Attachments

Images (3)
  • carello jod
  • 1969 Mangusta headlight, Avril 1969 Sport Auto
  • 1969 Mangusta headlight, Avril 1969 Sport Auto
Last edited by leea

I may have mentioned this before but Classic Alfa in UK sell the correct ( 03:240:700 Carello JOD's for outer and 03:245:700 for inner) as they are common to the Alfa Montreal PN MN033 (outer) and MN034 (for inner).  

They are new production and have all the Carello markings both £55.00 / $75.00 each, CA send worldwide. No connection with CA apart from them taking a boatload of my money on Alfas and being very helpful guys to deal with.

Note the outers do NOT have a sidelight/ pilot light feature and the lens is only suitable for driving on right so no good for us in UK.  The RHD Carello's are 4 x the price if you can even find them (as they need the sidelight / pilot light in bucket they have different bucket number) and likely need restoring / resilvering.

Cheers

Larry

Here's a pair that is in need of a new home...... slightly different number than I posted previously of what was on my car....   03.240.800

I guess I posted above that the 03.240.700 were the "outer" bulbs.....and these look like it....but they are a single filament version.....so low beam?     Center positions are high?  

This differs from what we may be more familiar with....a low beam that has a high filament in it as well, and a separate high beam with a single filament.....amazing that they seem so dim!

CRS disease setting in.....

Cheers!
Steve

Attachments

Images (4)
  • 102_1527: 03.240.800
  • 102_1525: 03.240.800
  • 102_1529: 03.240.800
  • 101_2918: Bug Collection!

Just edited my old post above to correct the Carello numbers on my headlight buckets.  After cleaning away the grime this weekend I found what Steve described ...4 different bucket #s, in a sequence.  Also, the galvanized 'donut' stampings to which the lights fasten were all unique .....stamped 1S, 2S, 1D & 2D.  Regards, Nate 

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.