Skip to main content

How tight is the fit?

I am a slim 185#, but cursed with a 6'4" height. I've heard of lowered floorpans as an option, but I'm not sure that's where I want to go with a possible purchase that has already seen extensive body restoration (why **** up a good thing?). Besides, I'm already worried about the low-slung design and possible underside damage with speed bumps and other surface irregularities. From my preliminary research, it seems the front valance is already vulnerable to this exact problem........damaging a low-slung floorpan in addition would be insult to injury.

Any other tall Pantera owners out there willing to comment?

Andrew

[This message has been edited by Mark (edited 12-13-2003).]
Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

First, lowred floor pans up to 2" are relatively common in Panteras, and in fact I believe the late cars ('80-up) came that way from the Factory. The less height-endowed simply add risers to the stock seat rails, so whether the floor is stock or lowered is irrelevant, unless you are looking at a completely stock pro-show car. For a street car or casual show car, nobody cares. OK, after doing the dropped floor, if you have unusually long legs, the pedal mount plate in the front trunk can be spaced out an additional distance. This is a bolt-in mod. The combination should allos a pro basket-ball player to drive comfortably. One Nor-Cal member has done the pedal mod plus a custom "seat" thats literally a thin cushion velcro-ed to the floor & firewall. He's driven it to 'Vegas from SF numerous times (600 miles one way) & says its comfortable.You need to come to the National Convention in the Spring in 'Vegas & try a few modded cars on for size. This is not a problem, believe me.
I'm 6'6" and was able to squeeze into my '72 without dropping the floor pans by removing the spacers from my seat tracks and removing most of the padding from my stock seats. Later I installed some one-piece racing-type seats with the fiberglass bottoms cut out that were perfect so long as I wasn't wearing a helmet.

My current Pantera is track-only so I had the floorpans dropped with the same seat setup and have (for a Pantera) tons of room. I had to buy a new driver's seat for racing but still have one that I'd consider selling if you're interested.

Also, Don Byars at Precision ProFormance has a relatively economical mod he does to the stock pedals that can give another couple of inches of legroom.

Bottom line is that if you really want tons of room buy a Town Car. But if you want to own the most incredible classic exotic on the planet (no bias), you'll find yourself willing to make some minor sacrifices here and there.

Matt Merritt
mmerritt@eventvehicles.com
Thanks for all the advice & links thus far.

It is nice to discover such an active forum for what is to most people an obscure car.

I have lots to think about. It does sound do-able, but with the car I had expressed interest in, so much work has gone into its restoratation, I'm skeptical I myself or anyone local I'm aware of has the talent & experience to match the needed modifications to the caliber of the previous work. I'm simply afraid I'd "butcher" an otherwise beautiful restoration job.

I have to search around to source some good local help before going further.

thanks for the advice-

Andrew
Link copied to your clipboard.