Skip to main content

Thanks for the comments, I couldnt figure out how to post on a photo album.

Mark C .. yea it will be a lot more work but then its only time and I figure I will be done next spring.

Mark NJ .. I was tempted and bought another one .. a 79 GTS which I will be at Pocono but couldnt get a trailer so I could run it around the track so I will just drive it.

Bill .. no the car is bolted with 5/8 bolts. rear to the trans mounts and suspension points and front thru the frame and cross member. It was a challange. I used a set of freewheeling hubs that were laying in my dads garage for like 30 years for the rotation part.
Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

Detom ... this is therapy and if you look at the dates .. I just started this project up again since last May .. no stress .. when I get time I put in the effort .

Gary .. The chemical stripper works great except for couple things ..you need heavy rubber gloves and ventalation. As far as lead breaking down ... dont think thats 100% correct. Lead properties tell us otherwise. Maybe it contaminates the top thousanth of an inch ...but after stripper the whole car needs to be either sanded or blasted. The If I scrape the lead a shinny surface is revealed. I'm not sure how the etching primer adheres to it ??? That could be questionable ... I stripped surfaces on this car where the etching primer was flaking off.. So we will see .. I'm using chemical stripper to remove heavy layers of paint and bondo. then blast it.
Chassis I had fixed a while ago, floor boards great, the typical little crunches where people jacked the car up wrong ..the front where it was bumped wheen I shipped it to NY and the front had a nose put on it looks like when it was new because its blended with lead .. so I assume it was done close to when it was new.

Attachments

Images (1)
  • left_side_weld
quote:
Originally posted by accobra:
Yes ... that pic is not complete ... I really need to clean it up with a grinder and drill some small weep holes...not that I plan to get water on the car after I'm done ...LOL

Ron

Ron, since you have your car apart, can you tell if there is a way to squirt stuff inside the frame to prevent it from rusting from the inside??? Is there like holes where you can put one of them undercoating wands in and spray around? Most folks don't realize that just humidity in the air will rust areas that water never can get to. I figure if there is a way to spray gooey inside once everything is all clean and rust free, it may just last forever.
Detom ... it appears that yes there are small black plugs on most areas where behind the plugs are empty areas. My personal opinion is that like FORD ... the red oxide primer is the best for that application along with the NEW RUST paints like Gary is applying to his underside of his car... shooting it inside the frame rails would also be a good idea .. rubber or tar undercoating holds in the moisture and only causes rust to start underneath.

Ok I made it back to the AUTOPARTS store for 2 more gallons and this long weekend with our mild NY weather is perfect to continue STRIPPING.
Ron

Ron
It's perfectly ok to drill a few holes in strategic places to insert the wand used to apply the paint inside the braces, esp in the long ones near the top of the rear inner wheel wells. (Eastwood sells these and there are ones made by 3M you can get at your local auto paint store. They are 30 inch flexible wands with nozzles on the end that attach to a gun.) Probably a good idea to put rubber caps over the holes when you're done.
I was especialy thinking about the rocker panels down where the door sill is. Those are welded shut and are not easy to get too, so if you have your car all torn down like that, it would be a good idea to coat them in paint on the insides. I don't ever want to have to do this again.
Detom ..its definately legal ..not sure if the glare or the heads turning and causing accidents .. hwich one would be worse.. in the cobra community this is the new trend ... some rubbing compund and elbow grease and waaa la a shinny silver car. My car is an aluminum body cobra # 1234 but I would never remove that Britich racing green for nothing.

Ron
Link copied to your clipboard.