Skip to main content

I know that a stock '71 has higher compression and more HP than a '74. How many $$$ does it take to bring a '74 up to the same power range (carb, headers, etc...)? How much more would you pay for an earlier model assuming all things being equal in terms of condition? Also, I'm interested in Mangustas. Where can I find more info on them? Anybody ever compare a Mangusta directly with the Pantera. Opinions?
Original Post
First, the Pantera may be THE most-modified foreign-built sports car in history, so your chances of finding some in "stock" condition are low. The '71s did originally have higher compression engines, but with todays weed-killer sold as gasoline, most have been lowered for driveability; many later cars have modified engines, too. Stock headers tended to crack due to the way they were fabricated, so there are many cars that use aftermarket or "GTS" headers (a Euro-option). In '72, the cam was retarded and in '73/74, the compression was further reduced compared to '71. But the 'L' model body came out in late '72, having more crash-worthy bumpers, outside gas filler, a more vieweable dashboard etc. It was described as 'more civilized'. As for the Mangusta, US versions had garden-variety 302 Ford small blocks while Euro types got hypo-289s. But again, a lot of changes happened in most over 30+ years.... Handling of the 'Goose with stock belted-bias tires was reportedly awful, but adding radial tires and correcting a few alignment variables fixed that (too late to retract the bad press, of course!) Its a personal thing: drive a 'Goose, an early Pantera and a later one, and see which you like yourself, then buy the best example you can find. Its that simple. There were about 400 Mangustas built, with perhaps 200 left world-wide; '71-74 Panteras- maybe 3500 left. '75-92 Panteras- maybe 150 of several model varieties.
Link copied to your clipboard.