Skip to main content

I have completed about 70% of a rebuild on my 72 P car and I very recently acquired a restored Corvette ZR1. Naturally I can't help but compare the two seemingly equal (performance wise) cars. While I have complained for almost two years regarding the Italian engineering, I find it correctable. My Pantera will scare you from 80 mph up to ?? The ZR1 is a fantastic automobile, But you need to take a course in engineering basics in several fields if any thing goes wrong. (read that "when" it goes wrong)
I'm not complaining at all. I'm really jazzed in having two wonderful autos to take all my spendable income. AS a matter of fact, I may have to un-retire and go back to work. Are any of you also blessed with dual performance cars ?
Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

I was a multi performance car nut and then got smart...........I sold the 72 Dino 246GTB and kept the 72 Pantera. It cut my expenses by about 60%. Then again I'm looking at building a Daytona Coupe from Factory 5. What the heck; it's only money.

Enjoy them.

Tom Jones
Between my wife & myself, we own a '72 Pantera L (heavily modified), a '92 MR2 Turbo (modified for 16-1/2 lbs of boost), a '97 Camaro Z-28 (stone-stock), and a '99 truck. The Pantera is the only one of the bunch I feel competent to work on without several manuals open, VOMs, code-readers & patchcords ready and a cell phone set to a help hot-line. To me, old-tech is therapy; new-tech is impossible at home. This of course doesn't include the old dirt-bike & the 2 street motorcycles...
Oh yes. I have a 68 Trumph TR250 and a 74 Spitfire. The Spit I built from the ground up. After Crewing with an SCCA G Production team for many years, besides experience I was left with heck of parts. Two 40MM side draft webbers, 10.5 comp, 118HP on the dyno. Weighing in at 1230 lbs. And a six speed gear box. And yes... Lucas the Prince of darkness. The Pantera has put me into a new kind of sports car. One I can go on long trips with!

[This message has been edited by Terry M (edited 02-24-2002).]
I'd have something else, but I'm spending all my money on my GT5. (Wife's too)

quote:
Originally posted by Terry M:
Oh yes. I have a 68 Trumph TR250 and a 74 Spitfire. The Spit I built from the ground up. After Crewing with an SCCA G Production team for many years, besides experience I was left with heck of parts. Two 40MM side draft webbers, 10.5 comp, 118HP on the dyno. Weighing in at 1230 lbs. And a six speed gear box. And yes... Lucas the Prince of darkness. The Pantera has put me into a new kind of sports car. One I can go on long trips with!

[This message has been edited by Terry M (edited 02-24-2002).]

Cars i have owned;71 mach 1 with an svo 460,70 cuda with built 440,68 dart with built 383.Cars i still own;72 240z with 350 chevy/tremec 5 spd/4:11 posi,gt40 kit(avenger,weighs 1200 lbs!),and one modified PANTERA!!!!(best of all the cars i have ever owned!)Who wants boring cars?
Started out with a '75 Triumph Spitfire, then a '76 Spitfire, a '83 Ford Mustang GT which I modified some, a '71 Triumph GT6 MkIII, a '52 Jaguar XK-120, a '85 Ford Mustang GT which I modified even more, a '56 F100 Panel with a 429 4V big block and my '71 Pushbutton Pantera. The one I like best? Well,....let me think.....THE PANTERA OF COURSE!!!!! I've since sold everything, put the wife in a Navigator and bought myself a Ford Diesel to pull my P car around with. If I drive it too far I seem to attract too many cops.
Link copied to your clipboard.