Skip to main content

I'm just throwing the pics up here for now. I just pulled the car out of storage (15 years in a climate controlled stall) The car needs a lot of work, interior is in bad shape, engine was blown by nitrous (I don't know how extensive yet)

The Exterior has a few small dents which will easilly be popped out, I've used the dentwizard tech at my local mercedes dealership on a few other cars. It seems to be a solid car but needs extensive TLC.

I will entertain any serious offers before I start any work on it.

Pics of Pantera

I also have a GT5 complete body kit for sale

Pics of body kit

Any questions or serious offers can be directed to me at dfdigital@gmail.com

Thanks

Dave
Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

LOL.... you mean the rack on the rear deck??? It's a "speed option" I swear!!!!

Anyways I'm not sure how much we can get for it right now... the owners, who purchased it new, want 30k for it.

There are a few problems with it:

It was stored in a climate controlled warehouse for the last 15 years.... no mice or rodent damage but the interior deteriorated badly.

The engine is locked up- The engine was built up to take nitrous but he got a little too happy with it..... I have yet to check it out to see exactly what the damage is. I will update as soon as we have time to check it out.

Rust- I know panteras have the tendancy to rust out as soon as they came from the factory. This one appears to have very little. However I am going to pull the interior and do a complete inspection.

As I have time to go through the car I will update the pics on the links above and add more detail to this post.

Any serious offers will be considered.
How you get roped into selling it? Where is the car located at?
quote:
Originally posted by dfdigital:
I'm just throwing the pics up here for now. I just pulled the car out of storage (15 years in a climate controlled stall) The car needs a lot of work, interior is in bad shape, engine was blown by nitrous (I don't know how extensive yet)

The Exterior has a few small dents which will easilly be popped out, I've used the dentwizard tech at my local mercedes dealership on a few other cars. It seems to be a solid car but needs extensive TLC.

I will entertain any serious offers before I start any work on it.

Pics of Pantera

I also have a GT5 complete body kit for sale

Pics of body kit

Any questions or serious offers can be directed to me at dfdigital@gmail.com

Thanks

Dave
Thank you for all the replys I have gotton from this post.

I really don't mean to sound anal, I really don't. But this guy just really pushed me

Please don't be this guy- I think he's also trying to trade his Corvette for a pantera

(I'm leaving names and e-mail addresses out of this)

First E-mail sent:

how much are you looking to get out of this car money wise, i am a cash buyer
ready to buy, i assume it does not run and needs full attention to everything
as you describe, is the nitrous kit still on this car? is the car mostly stock?
during storage did mice get in and eat any of the interior or wire harness?
please let me know, also where are you located? i am in connecticut, thanks

I replied:

We're looking at getting about 35k for it- reason being? it's actually a pretty
solid investment we can fix it up and sell it for 60k or sell it outright for 35.
If your interested I'll send you more pics and info after this weekend

To which he replied:

35k sorry i was thinking more like 10k seeing that it needs alot of work, good
luck with the sale.

So I replied: (the e-bay car was going for 12k at the time, it finally sold for $23,000)

Check out how much this dismantled one is going for:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Other-Makes-DeTomaso-Pan...QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

I know with time someone will realize that they can buy this car at 35k,
restore and get 60ish. This car is all original, single owner, has had some
serious engine work performed on it....

He replied back:

yes i saw that one but i dont think they will get much more than it is
already up two, for 35k you can buy a really nice one that needs little
to near no work at all, and 60k for a restored pantera is also not
realistic unless its got alot of up to date goodies and go fast parts
and is a show winning car, but a stock restored p car will never bring 60k,
but good luck selling and i hope it gets restored i hate to see a pantera go to waste..

My final reply:

I know my pantera was out of your price range but I've done some research for you and found this one. Check out the Buy it now price

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewIte...6&fromMakeTrack=true

Also, here's the one I showed you earlier, it went for 22,500

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewIte...TRK%3AMEWA%3AIT&rd=1

Have a great one,

DFDIGITAL
quote:
Originally posted by JD21476:
Unfortunately, I have to agree with the buyer, I think $35k for your car is way over priced. It is true that you can get a fairly nice driver for that price and you car has problems that you are not even sure of. I woudl haev to say it is worth in the $15k-20 range.

I agree 35,000.00 would be more than I would be willing to pay for a non running car that needs full restoration. I'm thinking that your car would be worth 15,000.00 to 25,000.00 in it's currenty condition P.I.M. has a Orange running L model for 37,000.00 http://www.pim.net/120105orange.html
I have contacted the seller and was waiting patiently to see the car when it was completed. I was under the inpression this car runs and the price was between 25 - 30. If I do go to see the car I would suspect it runs after waiting patiently. Other wise sell it now and stop all the work. A PANTERA is NOT a house. You cant fix it cosmetically and expect it to bring in top dollar. These cars are 33 years old and most were not daily drivers but garage or driveway queens. They are rusty and not running.

Save your money and put it up for sale on ebay set your reserve and let the chipps fall where they may.

Ron
John,

I got a response from DFDigital on the body kit about a week ago, he quoted me $5K. Eeker

I thought maybe he got a sticky key on the zero Smiler so wrote back and let him know they are $999 without the wing from the vendors, plus maybe another $500 for the wing...so far no response

Julian
Sorry about the response delay, I just got back from vacation with my wife in the keys.

Anyways, Being a fellow car enthusiast, I thought offering the car up to the Pantera community first would be a great idea. It would go to someone who would truly appreciate it, give it the TLC it needs and deserves and love to see it in their garage every morning. I can totally appreciate this type of enthusiast I have been very fortunate at the early age of 29 to have driven and owned various cars that most people only read about or see pictures of in magazines, yet alone to see one in person.

Unfortunately I have received a very negative response from your community. I have received e-mails that are hateful, posts from people who don’t want to wait for a response. Someone offered me 10k for it and told me that’s the best offer I’ll ever get….. meanwhile a Pantera that is totally dismantled without an engine sells for 24k on E-bay. Other cars from this era---- ex. Camaros, Trans-am’s and mustangs in poor shape are selling in the 30-50k range.

Read this
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/6081129/

While you guys are fighting the price of your cars down past that of a Porsche 914 other cars are commanding prices that no reasonable person could afford.

At this point in time I am no longer checking posts on this forum. Please feel free to fight amongst yourselves

Dave
Last edited {1}
The Forum seems to be split between owners who want the value to go up and those who want it to go down.
It's more important what the buyers are willing to pay then what an owner is willing to sell at.
Why anyone wants to talk thier car down is beyond me?
I suppose that there is an equation in there somewhere, Dan where are ya, and I suspect that neither are the controlling factors.
Damn it!! This guy is right. I think we treated him like shit. All he did was offer his car for sale and people were all over his ass. I mentioned I might sell my car and I get hatefull emails just like what he is talking about. Where is everybodies manners? If you don't want to pay what a buyer is asking , don't be rude about it. Be respectfull and decline. If he asks, then maybe tell him that in YOUR opinion you think he might be high and back you contention up with facts.
So now we have a guy who will tell all the automotive world just how mean and nasty Pantera owners are.
You know what?? This guy is right. I have some stuff I am going to sell, but I am not even going to mention it here. You guys want to buy it, you will just have to bid on ebay like everybody else. I am tired of the hate mail thing, and yeah, you know who you are and I don't give a rat's ass who knows. Damn it, I may be a prick, but I am not rude about it.
I am pissed, and dissapointed. This doesn't speak well for the Pantera community.
DT,

Here! Here! Nicely said. I, too, don't understand the inferiority complex that afflicts a lot of Pantera owners. Not only do we fight to keep the price down with a smug attitude that we know better as insiders; we even downplay the cars themselves whenever we can. Panteras are good, reliable cars when properly maintained. Properly maintained cars are good buys for new owners.

I believe that part of the problem why owners don't keep them well maintained is because they don't perceive that they add to the value when they spend money on the cars. That's why we need higher prices!

As a result, there are a lot of doggy Panteras out there. It's a shame.

Jeff
HH Detom. I also like to compare a good colector car to modern cars sold. If you buy a snazy new car for $45K which is pretty normal, why would an old car with a lot more charm and colectability be $10k. Most collectable cars often mirror the new car market to some degree.

Yea $30K for a new car with no bells and whistles is too much what it cost is what it cost.

Gary
Link copied to your clipboard.