Skip to main content

Replies sorted oldest to newest

No guys, I'm serious. For me it's time to move on car wise. I will always be a lover of Pantera and those that own them. I'm not really going anywhere, I'm just moving on to a different platform of a car. I still intend, with George's blessings, to be the Advertising & Events manager for PI. George and I have talked and this is what we both want. But.......

I look at what it costs to go fast, the limitations of the Pantera and what I have into my Pantera and the cost of going faster. I can do better for the money I spend. I'm not going to spend 13+ grand for a motor that produces 600+ HP that will only tear the Pantera apart, and never mind the gearbox B/S that goes along with it, or be held up any longer by Pantera vendors. I'm not into show cars or a couch kind of guy. I drive hard and fast, that's who I am. I take the I-17 interchange into the 101 interchange at 110 mph looking for more. Just isn't there with the Pantera. With the Pantera, I feel like I'm just wagging my tail.

I've decided to join the younger generation that really goes fast, has fun doing it, parts are plentiful, that you don't have to take a loan out to buy or kiss anyone's ass along the way. These are the guys that really drive their cars. I meet them everyday, race with them, eat with them and see what they're doing and it works. I'm going there too.

I'm going to build an NSX, 550 HP car which is truly a race car with formula 1 technology and will run circles around my, or any Pantera no matter who builds your motor for 13+ thousand dollars. I'll build a car, all said and done, for $65,000.00 that will do exactly that.

This is where I need to be. Maybe in another 20 years, I'll need to be nostalgic, sit on the couch and talk about yesterday having spent 100,000+ dollars on a Pantera that is nothing more than a show car, but not now, now is reality for me, for tomorrow I may be dead.

It's not personal guys, it's just time to move on and live in today’s world for me. I'm tired of throwing my money into a car of yesterday, to me it's a pit of no return for the desired performance, the costs are far too much for what is achieved.

The Pantera is for sale......
This is what I'm going to build.

Attachments

Images (1)
  • 4319nsx01
Last edited by George P
Jim & I talked a long time this evening. I understand the many factors that have lead to his decision. I agree it is the right move for him to make, under the circumstances, at this juncture in his life. Jim is looking at the big picture, and has his family's needs at heart.

So yes, I support his decision 100%. That's what friends do.

I'm personally thankful that he will continue to help me with Pantera International. He and I have already discussed planning another track event, and what we have to do to run it successfully next time. He'll just be there with an NSX, instead of a Pantera.

cowboy from hell
Frowner Eeker

I hear ya, Jim. I have always liked the NSX styling.

I know you've owned a string of cars before the world's most beautiful mid engine sports car.

For me the Pantera is the fullfillment of the lifetime car dream, so I'm happy and in no need to move on. Can't afford to anyhow...

If I join the NSX forum, will I hear you talking about selling it in a few years? Wink

Friends always,

Larry
quote:
Originally posted by Coz:
After long and hard thought, I have decided to sell my Pantera. It's time for me to move on.

I want $50,000.00 for it.

If anyone is interested, contact me off the board.
...........JIM, i'm sure your decision was WELL THOUGHT OUT, despite all the little quirks the PANTERA may have,i'm sure it is still VERY HARD to part with an old friend ! Frowner........., you are a TRUE ENTHUSIAST, and have helped many people here on the board.........GOOD LUCK JIM on your NEW BUILD,....it doesnt matter if its a volkswagen bug or a 550hp nsx,.....as long as it makes YOU happy!!!!...............keep us posted....................your friend.....DAVE
quote:
it's just time to move on and live in today’s world for me. I'm tired of throwing my money into a car of yesterday, to me it's a pit of no return

Ouch! I resemble that. %^((

Seriously though, cars s/b fun. Follow your heart. No need to justify what you want to do. It will be fun hearing about your progress with that "foreign" car. Kick ass! %^))
Thanks one and all for the understanding and support. Believe me, I'm not going anywhere. This was not an easy decision to come to as this Pantera and the people around it have been a major part of my life for the last 7 years. In a way, it's like parting with a loved one car wise.

I've had this Pantera longer than any other sports car I've ever owned, since 2000. I know every inch of this car, god knows I've been through it many times from bumper to bumper. Just spent 9 grand over the summer on the ZF and Wilwood brakes. Been a member of PI for 8 years now and have made a lot of friends a long the way. Cars come and go, real friends are here to stay. Besides, I'd miss you guys if I ventured to far from home.

Letting the Pantera go is 2 fold. I need to free up some money for the time being and I want to start again with something different. I've thought hard about another Countach, but that's another money pit unless you have lots of money to throw away, thought about a GT-40, but that's way over my head money wise.

I'll buy a 91-92 NSX for 20 to 25,000.00, be able to drive it and start putting parts together as time goes on. I figure maybe 2 years to complete what I have in mind at a cost of about another 30 grand. No big deal since it's taken me 7 years to get the Pantera close to where I want it and have spend well over 65,000.00 on it, not to mention all the time and effort I have in it.

The after market for performance parts for the NSX have come a long way over the years. I have always loved the styling of the car but always felt they were way under powered which is why I've never owned one. Now with the Comp supercharges & the forced induction systems one can attain 550 HP if you wanted to for a cost of 12 to 15,000.00. And it's an Acura, probably some of the best engineering in the world. Not something I'll be able to do right away, but it will happen. The cost of the car for a 91-92 which is the best year to start with is priced right and a very drivable everyday car for now so I can drive it while making the changes as I go.

At anyrate, thanks guys for the support and most of all, the friendship.....it means a lot to me.
It's a sad thing to see you part with the car but only you know when its time. I with all your other brothers will support your decision. I only hope that you will continue to be a part of our community.

Its a beautiful car that will never come around again, so make sure that your decision is what you really want and not out of frustration.

Of course you know that you will be the butt of jokes and harassment with the "brand X" car!

Best wishes brother!
You bet I will, not going anywhere Dennis.
It's just something that has to be done right now....

[QUOTE]Originally posted by 4NFORD:
Of course you know that you will be the butt of jokes and harassment with the "brand X" car!

Ok, lets get it started now then....The only butt the Pantera's will be seeing when I finish the NSX will be the butt end of the NSX out of their windshield....LOL....
Coz,
I'm just sorry I've never been able to get out West to an event and meet you personally. I've always enjoyed your wit & technical help in your posts to the BB. Glad to hear that you'll keep monitoring all the "bad boys" here & help keep them in line! Great choice in the NSX, I've loved their style since they came out & with 500+ ponies I can only imagine the performance you'll get. Best of luck & have FUN!
Jim,

Sorry to see that you are selling your Pantera.If you think that a GT40 is over your head, you should check out Race Car Replicas.
http://trackoholics.com/RCR/index.html
Give Fran a call.You can build a bad ass(2100# 450hp) GT40 fopr less than the $65,000 you'll spend on the NSX. He can set it up for a Porsche G50 trans that will take all of the power and then some and you won't have to worry about the whole ZF thing.
Let me know if you would like to discuss it further.

Ron

Attachments

Images (1)
  • 126_2622_(Medium)
Link copied to your clipboard.