Skip to main content

EZ Electric Power Steering in Holland (http://www.ezpowersteering.nl/) has just completed development of a new speed sensitive, electric power steering system for the Pantera. The OE rack is left intact and an electric assist motor is installed in the column, just above the upper U-joint. The level of assist is adjustable, as is the speed at which the assist begins to fade away. The concept is, you can have full assist at parking lot speeds but by the time you’re going 40 or 50 mph, the assist has all been turned off. If the system fails, you still have your original manual steering.

The cost is 1,500 Euro. They have a Dutch Pantera running around with the prototype system right now and a few more in progress. The company will be seeking German TÜV approval for the system shortly. Anyone who's interested should send an e-mail to Roger Reijngoud at: workshop@ezpowersteering.nl

Attachments

Images (1)
  • PS1
Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

Life is strange, Mikael. Pantera owners add wide tires to the front end along with more than stock caster, then are surprised to find the car steers heavier at low speeds than their power-steering-boosted Toyota Forerunner.... Maybe 10% of them have physical problems that require a li'l boost at parking lot speeds.
There are 3 types of power steering: hydraulic (any big U.S. sled from the '50s-on), electro-hydraulic (Toyota MR-2 '92-95) and full-electric (Saturn, etc). All have large adaption problems/costs and add much weight. I have a good friend with a Bugeye Sprite who swapped in a 426 Hemi, then tried to adapt Saturn full-electric power steering since the front wt increased radically. Trouble is, modern passenger car steering is variable-boost and is fully integrated into the main ECU and electric speedometer....both missing from a '70s Pantera (or a '60s Bugeye).
There are other aftermarket full-electric systems available (one from England) but at $2500 & up, I think a course of personal exercise and upper body-building might be better for most of us. Or simply avoiding driving slow!
Actually the system is working really well. We have put it an a Ferr-gtphut-y Daytona competitione and it is a big succes. When driving slow you can steer with two fingers, but on speed it just turns off. It is fully adjustable to what ever assist till what speed you want. It is easy to install as well. If you try,you will ask yourself how did you ever parked before.......
But to be honest, I will not install it in my Racing Pantera, I opt for the sore arms at the end of the day. It is part of the live with a Pantera.......
I should have clarified; the car with the electric power steering isn't my Pantera. I was sent a bunch of photos by the company that makes the system and I decided to pass the info on to the forum. The company has an excellent reputation for producing a top-notch product. I'm aware of one Countach owner who only drove his car a few times a year because driving it was such an ordeal. After having the electric P/S installed, it became his daily driver. EZ Electric thinks one of their biggest Pantera markets will be wide body cars. The owners can now set-up the front suspension with 6 or 7 degrees of caster and still be able to turn the steering wheel! Like Dago reported, you only get as much assist as you want.

My concern with the system is also with the u-joint that's welded to the lower section of the column. I understand that the electric power steering unit has a different splined coupling than the DeTomaso splined coupling, but why not simply use a new u-joint with the DeTomaso spline on one side and the P/S unit's spline on the other side? I believe this question has already been put to EZ Electric. I'll report back when I hear their response.
OSOFAST,
The system you mention may be nearly half the price of the EZ Electric system; however, the EZ Electric system has user adjustable assist and user adjustable speed sensitivity. Also, the price of the EZ Electric system is for the system installed in your column. You ship the upper section of your steering column to EZ Electric and they send it back to you with the power steering mechanism installed. All you need to do is connect power and ground, connect the speed sensor to your ZF and the assist adjust knob wherever you'd like to put it.

Here's a link to a YouTube video that describes the same EZ Electric system on an early 'Vette:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UnIxjjSnDo8

The company mentioned in the video, American Powertrain, is an EZ Electric distributor.
Last edited by davidnunn
Link copied to your clipboard.