Skip to main content

My original ANSA mufflers are off the car while the car is being repainted. They are going to be media blasted tonight as they are corroded on the surface with a lot of pitting of the chrome. They are solid though. I have a very original looking car and this will not change with the paint job. I have the original headers which I will retain for awhile anyway.

What do you guys think I should do with the mufflers? Paint them black and put them back on? Try to rechrome the tips? Cut off the tips and try to weld on new tips? What happens if you gut/remove the resonators in the tips as far as noise goes? Should I use the slide over tips that some of the vendors sell? Should I get new mufflers, if so what? All recommendations welcome.
Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

I had my tailpipes/mufflers jet hot coated to match my headers. Worked well for me as I have virtually no chrome on the exterior of the car.

I wish I'd invested a bit more time in sanding/smoothing the tips themselves. The jet hot is like chrome, it doesn't fill small pits or flaws.

I also painted the insides of the tips in high temperature red paint. Looked cool, but the red faded out after a short while.
Here ya' go... I get more compliments on the sound of my Pantera. Although, it is really loud and not for everyone, the infirmed, weak, and those on medication...

I tried to post a link to our local "Super Car Sunday" where my car was shot and recorded. For some reason It will not open completely when posted on this Forum? Send to anyone interested via email.

Red exhaust tips look cool.

Dave # 3463

Attachments

Images (1)
  • HYPURR_Red_Exhaust_tips_SM
Last edited by boxxboys
What is HPC coating? Boxxboys - are those slide over aftermarket tips or the original tips. I am contemplating painting black and using the slide over tips but don't want it to look cheap. I am also thinking about coating the original mufflers without paint or chrome if they look halfway decent after media blasting. I will not be gutting the mufflers (although yours look great afterwards) as the car is loud enough for my taste as is and I would like my wife to say yes when I ask her to go out for a ride. I would probably just go for megaphones and big-bore headers and call it good if I were to make it any louder Smiler Thanks.
Link copied to your clipboard.