Skip to main content

Replies sorted oldest to newest

Comp2, you should be interested in my upcoming article in the July POCA News, on Larry 'Downforce' Stock's street/track Pantera. Larry finished (today!) a very extensive under-car aero remod' that starts at the air dam and ends at a rear diffuser ala F-1. He'll be running it for the first time at the Reno-Fernley Open track event this weekend as part of the Fun Rally, to see what the overall effect is, and hopes for great things. Before, his 425 bhp car on DOT tires beat some machines that had 200 bhp more and were running gumball slicks. Should be fun to watch.
Thanks Does, I will check out the photos. Let me know if you need any help framing up a roto Blane.

I just got off 8 straight days of flying. All I have had a chance to do is make the main center portion from aluminum. I rolled a couple bends in it with the die roller.

When I made repairs in the under channel and a few other spots I welded in nuts. I need to make a few more nut plates but these make it easy to bolt stuff too:

Can't really show how it ties to the aluminum airdam as the air dam will not fit while on the roto. The aluminum air dam was built with a bottom and it rolls up the back side to close off all air. All air out through the radiator exits the hood. No air goes out the bottom. This is all closed up.

quote:
Originally posted by comp2:
By the way Does200, I looked at yours and it's a lot better looking job then what I am doing here. This is .050 aluminum.

I don't know about that, yours is looking exactly the same. The guy I got it from said it was powder coated, but I am not sure about that. I am not sure about what material mine is. Aluminum will be nice and light. He he, now you will need to be careful where you jack it up when done! And watch da speed bumps too, don't want to scratch that puppy up now.
Questions out of curiosity, given my recent problem with corrosion post ...

I noticed that you cut away chasis panels and treated the interior. As well, you welded on nuts to the removed panels.

How much rust did you find in the boxed in sections that you opened up?

Certainly welded nuts are a strong way of attaching bolts to a panel. Did you consider installing Rivnuts?

Interested to know
Surprisingly not that much rust. The plates were mostly beat up from people jacking on them. At that points welding in nuts were as easy as anything. The rest will be nut tabs.

I added a support piece to the channel, cut groves for drainage and even added drain holes.

The replacement plate is heavier plate.

The last step before beginning final body work on the car is to spray the inside of every channel.
FWIW Larry Stock shaped and blended the underside of his '72 race car for the recent Fun Rally event. He then had to raise the rear ride height by an inch as the additional downforce was causing the rear to scrape all the way around the track.

This was his confirmation that there is a lot to be gained from a belly pan/underside aero mods and diffusers

Julian
Nice work Gary! Keep the pics coming.

This is something I've been thinking about for a few years. I've seen Jan's partial treatment, but always thought that a pure flat bottom would not improve handling and as Cuvee points out, be quite dangerous at high speeds.

But a well planned ducted flat bottom leading to a rear diffuser could be a great improvement - even when not at race speeds. Joules, do you have any pics of Larry Stock's setup?
Does 200, I am not sure what I will do for finish. Might just paint it flat black so it disappears. I need to work on the bends some but having it done while the car was upside down was invaluable. If I had to make it with the car on it's wheels it wasn't going to happen.

Aerodynamics? No one knows for sure. That's what testing is for. My car has a number of things different. For one all air going through the air dam and front of the car exits the hood. All air underneath is blocked off. That alone will change a few things. Smoothing the air may actually help prevent lift in that dirty air turning under the car will back up creating more pressure. Smoother air will have a chance to evacuate.

As far as diffusers and such, one step at a time.

Will it help, hurt? I am certainly making no claims. We'll see how it does.
Link copied to your clipboard.