Skip to main content

Front trunk on ORNG UFO is getting the itch for restoration. I figure doing this area before the engine bay area with NASCAR engine, etc., will save my marrage due to the lower cost involved.

Is there a website location that has step by step procedures, so that a rookie can do the work alone? Also, any thoughts on cutting into the front trunk to place the battery under the carpet? (althought I hate to cut anything on a stock body, this seems like a nice touch so that an amp & CD changer can be placed where the battery currently is).
Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

I don't know if there is a website that has a how-to on the front trunk area but if you send me your email address I will send you pictures of what I did with mine. The vendors carry the black felt liner and it is an easy trim and fit job using contact adhesive. I thought about doing the hidden battery trick, but a vendor talked me out of it. Said the clearances involved were about 1/4". I decided not to mess with it. I still managed to get an amp and cd changer in there. Lots of guys have done the battery job, you might want to check some earlier posts.

Gary

[This message has been edited by fordgt (edited 03-30-2002).]
No step by step, but I did mine for reasons of better balence from lower-to-the-ground weight, better ventillation of the hydrogen emitted by all charging batteries and getting the acid corrosion out of the area with the front brake crossover line directly behind the OEM battery. You'll find that once you cut the trunk floor, you have little choice- the inner edge of your hole is bound by the front firewall and the outer by the sheet metal steering rack support. The left side is restricted by the clutch line. I used no box at all- I built a simple 2-1/2" wide angle-iron crossmember between the two front frame rails. The battery sits directly on it with the water tubes running just below. Can't get better ventillation than that! On my 'L' model, the long battery cable could be rerouted to reach the sunken battry thru the grommet used by the original AC drain hole. The ground cable is attached to one of the rack mounting bolts. Oh, yes- it took 3 months of dithering before I actually cut the hole!
Link copied to your clipboard.