Skip to main content

Replies sorted oldest to newest

Hi Jason,
you are right that it is somewhat confusing and being in Europe it is difficult for me to find an original US GTS. But as far as I have been able to work out, and the answers I have from people with US GTSs, the front and rear decklids and the bottom parts of the sides of the car were all painted in a gloss metallic black paint with paint code Ditzler/ PPG 33199. I got a sample made up from carpaint online and test sprayed and it has a fine gold metallic fleck in it.
The front and rear bumpers and, I believe, the black on the body under the front and rear bumpers is in a satin black. I don't have a paint code for that. I think the engine cover was also probably satin black. I have also been told that the pop rivets for the flares were originally black.

I am willing to stand corrected, so if anyone reading this knows I have got it wrong, I would greatly appreciate being corrected.

Cheers, Tim.
These photos are taken of a genuine all-original US market GTS. No paint work was done to the owner's knowledge.

The hoods are satin black. I think I vaguely recall a slight metallic flake, which I had never noticed before. The Fender flare rivets were NOT painted but maybe originally they were and the paint got waxed off over the years.

I hope that helps.
Mark
All input greatly appreciated. I have to confess that the test spraying of the black I had made according to the paint code up was not super glossy, but I had assumed this was due to the paint card it was sprayed on, and that there was no clear coat applied. But maybe that is the way it is supposed to be. With respect to the rivets being black the reason they are basically all silver on all cars now was said to be due to oxidation over the last close to 40 years. I am guessing they were not originally painted, but were anodised.
Cheers, Tim.
I can vouch for the fact that Rob's car has never had the paint altered in any way.(Which is fun because he has had a few pantera guys tell him the black is not the correct paint)
The hoods are satin and do have a slight metalic in the paint.
The rivets do not show any signs of ever have been covered in anything so I would conclude that they were originally bare metal.

A little off topic, but can anybody shed some light on the two buttons on the leading edge of the front hood? GTS only? Just curious.

Thanks,
Doug M
Link copied to your clipboard.