Skip to main content

Well, later today I will be returning from an inspection trip out into the farmlands surrounding Fresno.

From a Craig's list posting of about two months ago is a 1972 Pantera.

It has taken me this long to contact - speak with - arrange a viewing with the widow owner.

All I know is it "was running when parked".

Color,upgrades,mileage,condition???????

Here is a view of the home.

Wish me luck. Confused

Larry

Attachments

Images (1)
  • Picture_5_jpeg
Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

OH!!!!

THE HUMANITY!!!!!!

THE WORST THING I'VE EVER WITNESSED.....

(With apologies to the Hindenburg disaster).

The barn find Pantera was a garage find, and sadly would have been best left to someone else to uncover. The image of that once proud beauty will be forever etched in my mind, and it is a sad image, indeed.

Basically a totally stock car save for recovered seats, intake/carb/valve covers and wheels/tires. About 32K on the odometer.

Hasn't been driven in 15-20 YEARS and probably won't ever move on its own without a total restoration. I don't think it was sitting in the garage all that time either due to telltale things I saw here and there.

No signs of rust, though. Body has dents here and there, missing one rear bumper and door panel. Didn't see the rear tub anywhere.

Widow is asking - she says firm - $15,000.00.

She said she has spoken with some potential buyer 'down in L.A.' and she is planning on trailering it down for his inspection. ?? Why SHE is taking the car, and the buyer is not just driving up to view it, is a mystery. Says she sent photos and he is interested. His I.Q. must be about that of a turnip.

Here is what greeted me walking up the driveway.

Please join with me in a moment of silence for a dear, departed friend, 3781.

Larry

Attachments

Images (1)
  • SMALL_BARN
quote:
But seriously if it shows no rust it can't be that bad.

FULL REBUILD OF BRAKES, LINES, MC $1500

FULL REBUILD OF ENGINE?? $4000

FULL REBUILD OF SUSPENSION $1000

PAINT IS SHOT, BONDO IN 5-9 PLACES, $5000-$15000

INTERIOR HEADLINER,SEATS,RUGS $1000

CLUTCH HYD $500

WHEELS/TIRES $2000

HEADERS,MUFFLERS $1200

WINDSHIELD $1000

TOTAL OF ABOVE $17,200 - 27,200

AND THAT DOESN'T INCLUDE COOLING SYSTEM, ELECTRICAL, A/C, WIRING, HOSES, GAS TANK...ETC

GETTING THE PICTURE??

YES, IT CAN BE SAVED. BUT A TOTAL PROJECT AND A LOT OF TIME.

LARRY
Last edited by lf-tp2511
I fully restored my MG and took it ....and my Pantera (before restoration) to car shows. They both looked pretty nice but I was awful proud of the MGB which I restored every nut and bolt and configured to my taste.

There was a lot more pride in the MGB then the Pantera even though the Pantera was 2x the car but the Pantera was a car I "bought", not one I built.

This would be a good project car for some one who wants ...not to "Buy" a Pantera but ...make one his own car ground up.

I'm with you comp2-that car is about the journey. Nice job on the MG and so far on the P-car. Keep it up you're an inspiration. I don't know why most on this forum are afraid of a little work. Just get out the hose and vacuum, slap some new tires on, and drain/replace the fluids and she will be good as new!! There are hot rodders paying HUGE bucks to get that kind of patina....(those last three sentances ahould be talken with a grain of salt)
On a project like this your time is worth nothing because its not about recovering an investment. As comp2 said it's about pride. You get paid back in spades everytime someone gives you the thumbs up or says "Nice car!" That's priceless.
Link copied to your clipboard.