Skip to main content

Replies sorted oldest to newest

..."Ya want Aircraft Filler Caps!!?, Ya talk to ME!!" LOL, just kidding. The fact is those two photos of the Red/Orange gt-5 were taken by a Mr. Raymond Santiago;(sorry Ray, if you did not want your name mentioned) of Swansea, Ill. I know this because I am the Machinist that did the Machining in my shop, on a rotary table! To find that exact cap, go to batinc.com and download the specs on their 'areo caps' the size you are looking at is the 'areo 400'. The caps are produced in England and the company has a retail outlet in Florida. You can get them with or without the lock. Black or Polished Aluminum, and in Chrome. (I believe even in colors, I don't remember). They cost $170.(for the locking model), and then you must also purchase the hose funnel for $34. get the one for the 2.0" hose. If you wish to send your 'gill' to me for machining; I charge $200. Each plus shipping...It takes over 2 hours Just to do the set-up; and another 6 to finish the multiple operations. We know how irriplacable these gills are, they are less than .250" thin, very brittle and all but impossible to clamp down to the table, AND not leave so much as a scratch! They are one of the nicest additions to Your Pantera. Fuction perfect and come originally from the P-51 Mustang Fighter of WW11. Be forwarned that there IS a consiciderable amount of cutting,drilling and other work; to get the gill to clear and fit, back onto the car!! I have TWO on my Pantera, one on each side, the right side for the reserve tank. I have pictures posted on the 'Gallery'. Good-Luck with it!
...Yes! Even though the filler neck Already comes to the outside, there is still extensive cutting on the two layers of sheetmetal. But NOT nearly as much as if you had the 'internal' (engine bay) filler cap. remember, not only does the opening have to clear the funnel, it also has to clear the 8 screw tips and nuts! Also, on MY car, drivers side, because you can't adjust the position of the fuel tank nor the location of the cap; there was a 1.0" missalignment from the tanks' neck, to the caps' funnel. This was easily overcome by locating and using a 2.0" Diameter Filler hose that is made of a rubber that is VERY FLEXIBLE. The only Problem is it, costs $20. per foot. Last, to pump gasoline in, the nozzle has to be turned up-side-down with its' hose pointed towards the sky. Not an inexpensive conversion, but if you want it bad enough. Those that have done it, are very happy with the results and would do it again. It deffinitely stands out from ALL the rest!!...
Hi Brad, Yes, I will need ALL the pieces before machining, because I machine your gill for a perfect fit! + or - .010" Some of these cap flanges will 'snap' into place, they fit so perfect. Most of my customers send me their gill(s), purchase the cap and funnel and just have it sent straight to me. To all those who are interested; my email address is panther@starnetdial.net get ahold of me anytime, I check my mail everyday. One more thing; there are NO guarentees! We all know how impossible these 'Gills' are to replace! And how expensive they are, if you can even find one. But did you know that there are at least 2 or 3 different styles, different shapes/curves, different location for the 'ribs' etc. I handle each gill as if it were my own and going on my Pantera. I try my best not to put a single scratch on it, but sometimes things happen that are beyond my control. I have so far had 100% perfect success. I take my time(your paying for it), and do the job right the first time, perfect! I've been machining for over 40 years and take great pride in being a Master Machinist! To all the very best...
It's not "fake" DeTom! What's a body ornament with ribs on it supposed to do?

Truth is, several odd body angles are converging at that spot, and Mr Tjaarda used that little ribbed piece to make the junction pleasing to the eye. Does that spot on the car stand out as being too busy, or unattractive, or awkward to you? If not, then the little ribbed body ornament is doing it's job perfectly, and is therefore totally functional!

Your friend on the DTBB, George

Attachments

Images (1)
  • roland's_car
quote:
Originally posted by george pence:
It's not "fake" DeTom! What's a body ornament with ribs on it supposed to do?

Truth is, several odd body angles are converging at that spot, and Mr Tjaarda used that little ribbed piece to make the junction pleasing to the eye. Does that spot on the car stand out as being too busy, or unattractive, or awkward to you? If not, then the little ribbed body ornament is doing it's job perfectly, and is therefore totally functional!

Your friend on the DTBB, George

Nope, I think they should be real. Little strips of metal that will let in air but not rain water, that is ducted down to either the brakes to cool them off, or up to the air filter so it can breath in cool air. I have always been concerned about those fakey looking little plastic thingies. The GT40 had air inlets there and I really believe that is what was intended. But maybe they ran out of money before they could finish it??
quote:
Originally posted by DeTom:
The GT40 had air inlets there and I really believe that is what was intended.

The explanation I gave you was a quote I once read or heard from Mr Tjaarda. But if you are sure of your position, and if it will make you feel better, we can replace the ribbed ornaments on YOUR Pantera with some smooth ones, so there is no pretention to look like a vent of some sort.

George
Maybe we can make real vents instead of anything decorative? I am not sure but I think underneath the vents is like a channel that runs clear down to the bottom of the car. I know that is probably a structurally important part on the car, so we can't just open up a big hole. So I thought we could weld on little wing pieces that kinda look like the gill only they let air flow in. THen on the bottom we can use some of that flexible metal conduit to take the air over to the brake calipers and let the air blow on them.
I had mine off while painting. Underneth is 2 layers of metal that would have to be cut, now you are inside the the quarter glass and just above the fuel fill on the driver side. You might as well install an external aircraft type fuel fill, instead of a brake cooler.I think thats how this post got started anyway.Dethom
Last edited {1}
DeTom!!!!!!!!

I've got it figured out!!!!!!!!

Remember when we were kids, the little gizmo you wore like a ring, but it was designed that when you blew into it your breath spun a small fan and it made a "vvvrrrrooommmmmm" sound?

Well, we'll cut out the gills in your Pantera, install 2 large versions of that kids toy, one on each side, so that when ever you drive your car it will sound like a formula 1 car, the faster you go, the faster, higher pitched & louder the "vvvvrrrrroooommmmmm" shall be!

lol...............

George
Last edited by George P
Brad,
The pics you posted of the gas cap conversion are from my Pantera. After many emails between myself and Marlin, I returned from overseas this past summer fired up to get this done. Marlin was awesome from start to finish.

There are some obstacles Marlin mentioned, but nothing major. It helped to have a spare gill with gas door, if I ever wanted to go back. But after seeing the results, I won't. Good luck.

Ray
Brad, if your still looking for a cap, I can forward you a link to a guy that might be worth looking into. He's a boat guy,(his ad was in a boat mag) but I like his work, ordered his battery box today. He's in Santa Barbarba, a hot rodder, knows the Pantera and would be willing for one off's if there might be a intreast (sp) from the Pantera community
Mark
Hey Ray I've been trying to find you and ask about your car. I think it's just awesome! Can you email me letting me know what size your wheels and tires are and if the car is lowered all the way. Thanks Ray for the reply in advance. Emery@hawaii.rr.com
Smiler
quote:
Originally posted by Panther:
Brad,
The pics you posted of the gas cap conversion are from my Pantera. After many emails between myself and Marlin, I returned from overseas this past summer fired up to get this done. Marlin was awesome from start to finish.

There are some obstacles Marlin mentioned, but nothing major. It helped to have a spare gill with gas door, if I ever wanted to go back. But after seeing the results, I won't. Good luck.

Ray
Link copied to your clipboard.