Skip to main content

Video from Knutstorp at the Spettacolo Nordico trackday in September 16
Great day with nice weather!
Car is a roadcar but wanted to try also on the racetrack.
It was safe driving to not end up in any crash zone. Not pushing it to the limits. Very fun to drive. Turns nicely and neutral steering.
I got brake shake, oil pressure loss in the hairpin turn, and close to overheating. Things to improve this winter – the fun part of it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BS6wwkSYRv8
Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

Looks like you had a fun day, not trying to meet anyone's expectations but your own. I've had my Pantera on the track about a half dozen times before it went in for restoration/modification 4 years ago (getting it back next week, hopefully!). My observations were that it ran cooler than at any time I'd ever driven the car, and my habit of never taking my eyes off the temp. gauge was unnecessary. I found that the Pantera excelled at the big sweeper, carousel turns as it seemed to have no limits and no body roll. I also found that the notchiness of the shifter took too much concentration and effort for downshifting in sharp corners, so I got the tranny into third gear and let the ample torque deal with the lack of downshifting. I also learned that I will never take her out on a wet track ever again, spun her twice on one lap at Sonoma Raceway. But I'm looking forward to getting her back next week and taking her to our local track, Buttonwillow Raceway at least to test the parameters of the new high horsepower (500+) engine, the new cooling fans, the new bolstered Corvette seats, etc. I can see I'm going to have to invest in a GoPro as you can go back and enjoy what you've done on your own sofa.
Thanks for letting us tag along.

Attachments

Images (1)
  • VP__4040_(640x427)
I think the top speed was around 200kph (125mph).
This year I shelved the stock 351C and gearbox and now have an engine with much more cubes so the acceleration is quite brutal when opening up.
The camera is a low cost GoPro copy. I am surprised of how good it is. It came with a remote which I have on the dashboard. The remote has two big buttons. This is good when wearing gloves.
NB, that drop in oil pressure you see in turns is a sure sign of a stock oil pan, or severe underfilling. Left in place and driven on the street in the same manner, it will destroy your main and rod bearings, since the pressure drop indicates the pump is sucking air while under load. I've seen an engine lose all oil pressure from this in one (1.0) club level open-track afternoon.

Our fix here is a larger volume pan with trap doors, baffles and scrapers such as the racing quality oil pan assembly sold by Aviaid. It is a bolt on mod. A bit expensive but cheaper than an engine overhaul.
Thanks for the advice!
Oilpressure is normal for all street driving. That special 180 degree hairpin turn is really pushing G forces. Other turns on the track were fine. I have an additional 18 psi switch wired to an "idiot" light next to the steering wheel to be alerted.
I have a stock pan with as much baffles welded in there as possible to be able to still get it over the pickup when assembling it. It would be a very tight fit if adding side volumes with trap doors. I will have a look again. Maybe..
The engine is built on a 385 (429/460) alu block from C&C.
Friends of mine into racing classes where the regulation does not allow dry sump say accusumps have worked fine. I plan to try one and see how it works.
There are three different stock Ford pans and none are worth bolting them up on even a stock Pantera. The Aviaid pan (also the copy from 'Armando' who used to work for Aviaid) has an extended-backward sump and is the identical depth so nothing is hanging down or out the sides. Beware of cheap E-Bay open-bucket 'racing pans'- that add 2+ quarts but have NO baffles and do nothing at all for oil control. Aviaid has a web site showing 351-C pan dimensions.
That was a very fun video, Thank you for posting it. Welcome.
Jerry Sr.

quote:
Originally posted by Nbjelk:
Video from Knutstorp at the Spettacolo Nordico trackday in September 16
Great day with nice weather!
Car is a roadcar but wanted to try also on the racetrack.
It was safe driving to not end up in any crash zone. Not pushing it to the limits. Very fun to drive. Turns nicely and neutral steering.
I got brake shake, oil pressure loss in the hairpin turn, and close to overheating. Things to improve this winter – the fun part of it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BS6wwkSYRv8
You definitely want a baffled road race pan from Aviad or Armando, or possibly even Kevko (I haven't seen what their baffles look like).

I spun a rod bearing in my Pantera on a tight right-hand hairpin turn. I now have an Armando pan on the Pantera, and a Kevko road race pan on my 66 Mustang. Cheap insurance!

Aviad 155-55365 Pantera pan
https://aviaid.com/shopsite_sc...s_sbf_cleveland.html

Armando 404 Pantera 351C Road Race pan
http://www.aroilpans.com/Roadrace.html

Kevko F602-400-M Pantera road race pan
https://kevkoracing.com/collec...0-m-ford-pantera-pan

I am also running a 385-Series engine in my Pantera. I was not able to find a performance oil pan that fit within the pantera’s frame rails.

I sectioned and narrowed the side kick-outs on a Canton road racing pan to fit. It did decrease the oil volume in the pan, but I retained all the oil control features, including the trap doors. Some time with a cut-off and welder and it has been working with no issues.

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.