Skip to main content

Hey I have a friend in the Lotus Elise club and they had an event at the track in Parhump not too long ago and they had some kind of nasty problem with the newly resurfaced track. I understand some significant portions of the tarmac were becoming dislodged from the track and becoming embedded or otherwise stuck into several cars. Being that the stuff is petroleum based, one such hunk which adhered to the difuser or something like that ignited burning one Lotus Elise to the ground. Anybody hear any more about this?
mike
Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

Mike,

Will you please contact me directly off list regarding this? Thanks.

pcncvegastrack (at) aol.com

Uh, that isn't what I want to hear :-(

I will be calling them tomorrow to get the straight scoop on this. If they need to fix something, they have until May 4 to get it right ;-)

Larry
I spoke today with Spring Mountain about this. When they paved their new 1.5 mile West addition, they also resurfaced the North/South tracks. The resurfacing had not settled in/dried out fully prior to a scheduled track event. Spring Mountain suggested the event be rescheduled, as the track was not as good as it should have been, but the organizers decided to run on it anyway. Yes it was slippery, and hot tires and soft tar tend to sling stuff here and there. And yes an Elise did catch fire and burn before fire equipment could arrive. But to say the fire was started by flying tar seems to be a bit of a stretch.

I am trying to speak directly with the racer who gave Mike the report, but that hasn't happened yet.

In any case, I was assured the resurfacing has pretty well settled in by now, and surely should be fully cured and worked-in by the time PCNC sponsors our two day event on May 4 & 5.

Larry
Hey Guys,

The car is aluminum except for a steel roof and fiberglass engine cover. The car still weights 3400 pounds(not a light weight). This one is real, but I have nothing against a kit if the owner builds it himself. I still hope everyone makes it to the Fun Rally. I will buy the beer. Larry, I hope when Kirk Evens is done with my Pantera it looks as good as yours.

Feeling Loved,
Chris
Link copied to your clipboard.