Skip to main content

For Sale: 351 Cleveland engine that I just removed from my GT5S.

History: I purchased the car in Dec 2001. Immediately after I purchased car I replaced the carb with a Holley Street Avenger 670 (electric choke and vacuum secondaries. In early 2002 drove the car to Mount Dora, no problems except on the way home appeared to vapor lock. Replaced fuel pump and that solved problem. Mid 2002 drove the car to Atlanta GA. Blew head gasket. Upon return to Ft Myers, removed heads and had Lamont Johnson (SE Pantera member) of Lamont's Machine Shop go through the heads and replace all guides, valves and springs as required and do complete valve job. Also replaced water pump with new one, (not rebuilt). Since that time the car has made one trip out of Ft Myers and that was to a car show in Coral Gables, FL. No problem. Between head work, new carb, new fuel pump and new water pump, I have put over $1000.00 in engine since I purchased car. If I was going to keep engine, I would take bottom end apart and have it freshened up by Lamont and put it back together and feel very confident in motor. I purchased a crate ford Windsor engine (392 inch stroker) which I am going to put in the car, that is why I am selling this engine. The speedo in car said 23,000KM when I purchased car.

Described below what is included:

351 Cleveland, 2 barrel heads, 2 bolt main. Torker Manifold-polished. Polished alum valve covers-not stamped with DeTomaso. Carb 670 Holley as described above. I believe Accel Dist with cap and wires. Center Force Flywheel, clutch and I assume pressure plate. Headers tubular-not cast, but I have welded shut all bungs that were used in conjunction with Cat Converter-I would replace headers if going to keep engine. Rotary compressor bracket. Dip stick holder for Pantera automobile, no dip stick, need for new engine. Stock Pantera oil pan, not 10 quart, with bung for oil temp sensor. Alternator also included.

I had no idea what engine in this condition was worth. Spoke with Patrick Mical of Performance Auto in Mass who install a large number of crate engines in Panteras in the NE. If I remember our conversations correctly, and I did not tell him all that was included for sale, he said that somewhere between $2000-$3000 would be fair and reasonable.

Before attempting to sell it to anyone, thought I would offer to a Pantera owner since some of the parts would be applicable to a Pantera. If you are interested please email or call me at (239) 482-7244.

Al

------------------

[This message has been edited by Al Rubin (edited 07-27-2003).]
Original Post
Link copied to your clipboard.